A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: detecting system config

My movies are playing slow in slower machine as a result the sound does not sync with the movie. I am thinking to create two flash files, 1 for the slower machines so that I give more loops and the other for the faster machine so that I give lesser loops and it ends snoothly. But mu problem is I need to autorun the file depending on the system config, like less than 64 mb play small file or more than 64 mb play big file. How can I detect the system config. SOme help would be grateful

To the best of my knowledge you can only detect the browser type, installed plug-ins, screen resolution and OS. I don't think you can detect processor speed or installed memory.

Anyone want to prove me wrong? I'd love to have that code if it exists.

- monster.

all i have is one word...javascript...it can and will do the job and its the only way i have found to do it...sorry i dont have the scripts you need but i have seen it done...

Sniplet

Many reasons exist for one to detect another users operating system. Here is an article about css issues that may help you out.
    http://www.webbedenvironments.com/v03/03_03.html
    and here is a snipplet of a scriplet off the page :
    <script language="JavaScript">
    document.write('<link href="default.css" rel="styleSheet" type="text/css">');
    if ((navigator.appVersion.indexOf('Mac') != -1)) {
    document.write('<link href="mac.css" rel="styleSheet" type="text/css">'); }
    else {
    document.write('<link href="other.css" rel="styleSheet" type="text/css">'); }
    </script>
    Maybe this will give you an idea of the actual code you need to write. This is probably the most important part
    but I am new to Javascript as well as flash.
    if ((navigator.appVersion.indexOf('Mac') != -1))
    document.write('<link href="mac.css
    else {
    document.write('<link href="other.css
    cool beans
    /web.