A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XMLSocket poxy proxy servers

Red face

Hi, my multi user world works using XMLSockets. But it doesn't seem to work through proxy servers. Could someone tell me how to fix this? The code is straight forward, I won't bother posting it the important bit maybe:

if (!mySocket.connect("123.456.789.123", 4321) {
    gotoAndStop("failed");
    }

It's just the proxy servers that die.

Its not a problem with Proxy servers but a problem with Firewalls. If the firewall doesn't allow tcp-ip connections outbound (eg if they can't run something like ICQ or Napster) then your socket server would fail.

I have been thinking of building an example app that has degrading connection options eg; if the socket doesn't connect then it uses a series of http sessions.

However other things have got in the way of me creating it. You will have to either ask the administrators of the firewall to change it, or build yourself a system of socket or http sessions. If you do the later write up a little peiece here on FlashKit so we can find out how it went.

Thanks

Luke

Ah that's interesting...So if there is a proxy server, there's generally no problem if the server has port forwarding or something, but a firewall will kill it. Isn't there a way to tunnel it all through port 80? The majority of Java web stuff, it automatically does the degrading idea you were talking about, I assumed Macromedia had come up with something like that.

And easy way to tell for the end users is if they try to telnet to your server & port (eg telnet myserver.com:10000) they should not get a connection refused message. If they do they are being blocked by the firewall.

Unfortunately there is no way to tunnel the protocol (which is the way real-audio does it).

As I said I believe that they only real way to achieve it is to have a fallback position using http and a cgi script.

Thanks

Luke

problem trougth proxy/firewall with XMLSockets and Flash

Hi, i'm having the same problem. The flash application with XMLSocket doesn't connect if there is a proxy/firewall between the user and Internet. If the conection of the user is OPEN (without firewalls), it works perfect, and exactly as you said, if the telnet works, the application works.

I can see on the net that a lot of people has this problem, but no one gives a solution....
    Has any one of you found a solution?

If not, can someone give me examples, or url's where can get examples of applications working with cgi and http, like if they were xmlsocket?

Thank you!

Does anyone has an answer for this question?

I need some ligth about! I have been a long time looking on guugle but i hadn't found any util solution

Question socket connection via proxy

Hi,

I have a chat server written in delphi and a flash document (actionscript 3) on the client side. Im using the flash.net.Socket library and the connections don't go trough the web browser proxy settings.

Google is not helping much, a lot of old stuff. Looks like flash already do the connections via proxy and the problem is another thing.

I read a post that the unix flash player don't use the browser's proxy configuration, but it was an old post so i'm not sure.

When i migrate my clients do use the flash plugin for comunication i chosse to use the port 80 so the firewall should not the connection, but didn't work for a very secure company. In this network all connections needs to go via proxy.

I have little experience with network configuration, i think that flash shoud read the browser proxy config and handle all connections.

Does anyone have some info about this?

I finally didn't use Flash

Hi!

Finnaly i found no end for this way, so I decided to change of language and rewrite the entire aplication using php and javascript (AJAX) against MySQL database.

It's not real time but one or two seconds lag is permisible for my chat.

Before decide it, I tried using other network configurations, other ports, other actionscript commads, a FlashMediaServer or something like that,... and like I said you, i didn't found the way. I read in the net that nowadays, if you use Adobe Air, you can make this things but i didn't get it working.

Please if you find how to make this connection posible, tell it here but i suppose that is so simple: if you connect vÃ*a XLMSockets of ActionScript in Flash, you cannot go behind a proxy if the proxy is not mannualy configured.

Thank you

peer to peer in flash 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by Andhy View Post
    Hi!

Finnaly i found no end for this way, so I decided to change of language and rewrite the entire aplication using php and javascript (AJAX) against MySQL database.

It's not real time but one or two seconds lag is permisible for my chat.

Before decide it, I tried using other network configurations, other ports, other actionscript commads, a FlashMediaServer or something like that,... and like I said you, i didn't found the way. I read in the net that nowadays, if you use Adobe Air, you can make this things but i didn't get it working.

Please if you find how to make this connection posible, tell it here but i suppose that is so simple: if you connect vÃ*a XLMSockets of ActionScript in Flash, you cannot go behind a proxy if the proxy is not mannualy configured.

Thank you
    http://www.flashrealtime.com/p2p-cha...sh-player-101/

Using an adobe server as initial mediator, swfs can now comunicate directly. Much more than a chat can be done with it.

The people at flash realtime give a lot of examples.

Cheers