A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with a simple cgi/FLASH form...!!!...

Exclamation

I've never done a cgi script and i've never made a form in HTML. But now I need to do a simple reply form in FLASH. How do I do it?
    Do I need to make the form in FLASH and in HTML script?

<form name="form_name" action="http://cgi.my_server.com/cgi-bin/mail.cgi" method="POST">
    <input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="email">
    <input type="hidden" name="subject" value="email_title">
    <input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="url">

My cgi server told me that I have to insert these variables in HTML but I've followed a tutorial on FlashKit and have done it in FLASH. Do I still need to insert the form script in HTML?
    My server reply's with an error.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!... Can someone tell me what to do?!!!

Lightbulb

ive been trying to do that myself, but ive not quite got the hang of the CGI bit yet.

but no, you can do it either in flash or in HTML.

this might give you something to think about, sorry its a bit vague.
    in the code youve written for the variables that are used in the HTML form, if you create a text field in flash, and call it, say, "email", and do the same for the other text variables that you want to be included in the flash form.

then when the user presses send, use the load variables option on the actions property sheet for the button, and use 'send variables' and type in the URL to the CGI script, and then select send using method POST.

this has the same effect as the script you wrote initially, because flash will send all the variables and their values that it currently is using, to the URL that you have specified.

thats about as far as i go, im still working on the CGI bit as yet :< not finished readin the book see ;>..

hope this helps slightly, cheers DaZ

------------------

[This message has been edited by DaZ (edited 11 May 2000).]