A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Choking!

it's lag....

Thumbs up

Does this forum choke on you sometimes, it seems the board cant handle all the users. If it wasnt for the entertaining I wouldnt be here. hint hint for the kitcrew

Yes we all know, the boards and site are slow. Its hard to keep things going at lightining speed when you have limited income and almost 300,000 members. Sorry for the truth

Believe me, it used to be a lot slower, and the people that are sticking around are the true Flashkiteers

Josh Dura

9th Grade WC
    Originally posted by jdura99
    Yes we all know, the boards and site are slow. Its hard to keep things going at lightining speed when you have limited income and almost 300,000 members. Sorry for the truth

Believe me, it used to be a lot slower, and the people that are sticking around are the true Flashkiteers

Josh Dura
    it didn't used to be slower did it?

Ive said this before but I'll say it again.

Why does everyone blame it on the 300,000 plus members? As if 300,000 people are on the boards all at once!!

I'll bet 90 percent of that number are people who registered and visit the site once in awhile, and dont even post on the boards. If you look at the forum page, there are usually 20-50 members on the boards at once, and at the most 70. Same as were-here, and their boards are lightning fast.

So, whats the real reason?

Originally posted by Visionray
    Ive said this before but I'll say it again.

Why does everyone blame it on the 300,000 plus members? As if 300,000 people are on the boards all at once!!

I'll bet 90 percent of that number are people who registered and visit the site once in awhile, and dont even post on the boards. If you look at the forum page, there are usually 20-50 members on the boards at once, and at the most 70. Same as were-here, and their boards are lightning fast.

So, whats the real reason?

Yeah!!

were-here archived their version of the CL, so that the old posts no one is likely to add to anyway, arent hogging board bandwidth (or something)

Originally posted by Ian424
    were-here archived their version of the CL, so that the old posts no one is likely to add to anyway, arent hogging board bandwidth (or something)
    yeah...right... you just keep on truckin'

Right now, there are 68 total people on the boards, including guests. It took me three tries to get into the CL, and two tries to get into this thread.

Right now at we're here, there are 64 members on the boards, including guests. THe pages load up in 2 seconds.

I know the figures jump so that might not be the number of members if anyone checks.

Im not trying to say we're here is better or anything.

Actually, I am. As far as speed, it is much faster, and they have the same number of people on the boards. Im just saying I dont think it has much to do with the amount of people on the boards. Doesnt flashkit use a different server for the forums anyways? So people surfing the rest of the site shouldnt matter if that is the case. I could be wrong who knows.

And as far as FK not having any money, arent those HUGE invasive banner ads bringing in a little cash? I would hope so.

Normally I wouldnt say anything about this topic, because I know this site is free and I shouldnt complain, Im just comparing it to the other huge flash resource site.

Now I hope my post goes through without a SQL Invalid Argument error.

Yeah!

My theory I had, and still believe in, is Flashkit is using Mac servers. That is the problem.

Actually I think they need to get a server with about 4 gigs of RDRAM and use a Pentium XEON processor at 2.0 GHz.

Josh Dura
    It was so nice when FK got the US server.

Originally posted by Big_Daddy_Mike
    Yeah!
    Go back to were-here! jk.

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Get a better server :P

Ok guys, you figure out where to buy a server that will serve up 3 terabytes of data a month and not even slow down. Know that yes, Flashkit uses a seperate server for the boards, but ya know what? In the end, it will all work itself out. The people that complain about it and migrate to werehere, will all leave, and then the people that will be left here at FK will be the true FKers. Then things will speed back up. I agree with archiving the coffee lounge, but do you know what kind of risk that is running in editing and archiving a database of that size? It is near impossible. And YES having more members does matter! Just wait, when werehere gets 300,000 members, you will be the same people over there *****ing at how slow they are!

Josh Dura

and then the people that will be left here at FK will be the true FKers.
    wait, i am confused...there are LOADS of true fkers over at were-here too...

but at least it doesn't take 10 minutes to post a reply over there

*looks at watch...looks back at screen....heads out for lunch*

FK Official Postman
    New server = FK does not have that much money to spare...

FK is fine...if it doesnt load, hit refresh and continue working while it loads.

Ok, I dont think what I said was interpreted right I am NOT bashing werehere. I LOVE werehere. Its just that when people here, or at werehere, or wherever else start moaning about something being slow, when it is free, that kinda pisses me off. I mean, its like everyone has said here before, "You would never complain about the free food at a party" I think it was LanSite or DZine who said that I would give the same argument to the people who say it at werehere, actionscripts.org, popedeflash, actionscript.com, flashzone, dreamincode, studiowhiz, ultrashock, EVERYWHERE! It is just plain rude! I love you all hahaha sorry just had to end on a good note haha

Josh Dura

The people that complain about it and migrate to werehere,
    I can't even see over there, I need a flashlight to get around.

it's lag....
    Yes its slow, but the content on the site is important to me, its good to see that flashkit actually cares about their own site and are convinced that this place are and will continue to be a great place.

OK, some threads we could be without but my bull**** filter are working harder other places!!

How did I get here?

Why is it all yellow?
    It's fargin bright in here!
    ...what the....

OH this is Flash Kit!
    Well hi Flash Kit!

jdura99, you are absolutely right, we have the same problem over at were-here sometimes and it sucks but hey it's free kiddies! So deal with it or go somewhere else.

The people that run these kinds of forums are doing the community an invaluable favor, so next time you fell like *****ing about it, send in some money first, then at least you can ask what they did with your cash, but what they do with their cash is "nunya" and the fact that they're letting you use this place for free is just damn cool.
    So close it (your mouth) and say thanks instead of whining.

I'm feeling out of place here so I'm going home now but I just had to speak my piece.