A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comet Cursor?

When I just connected to the internet I got a prompt saying that I had an old version of comet cursor and asked if I wanted to download the latest version. Not thinking, I just said yes and went through the process.
    Then I realised that I didn't know what comet cursor was. Does anyone know what it's all about? Never heard of it myself, probably nothing to worry about. Any ideas?

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

I hate commet cursor?

OK,
    Just noticed I now have a monkey in my start menu thanks to comet cursor. I hate monkeys.

Firmly Fastened to the Milk Sac of Misanthropy
    Spyware. Ditch it as soon as possible. Go here to get some freeware that will strip it from your system:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/aaw.html

Sem.

P.S. If you don'rt mind spending some cash, get Ad-Aware Plus. It will monitor your system and stop spyware when it tries to install itself and alter your registry.

Excavating for a mine,

Originally posted by stunter
    OK,
    Just noticed I now have a monkey in my start menu thanks to comet cursor. I hate monkeys.
    Yeah - that monkey is a real ***** ... the spy ware is okay, but that damn monkey sucks pondwater ...

Comet Cursor is BAD! Don't get it. It is spyware!
    If you accidently clicked yes, then I suggest you get the latest version of Ad-Aware. look on http://www.download.com

Comet Cursor is accually like a cursor replacement. Nothing that intresting. No need for it.

Cool

OK,

Whats that in your footer?

Thanks for the help guys. That's not a monkey in my footer, that's me. I got low on cash at uni and took part in some "safe" medical trials.
    Anyway, I downloaded Ad-ware and it detected some spyware components, should I remove all these components from my system? Most of them seem to be the comet thing and there's a few others with odd names.

Cheers for the help

Excavating for a mine,

Without meaning to sound rude, but more to give you a verbal 'wake up' slap ~ did you happen to read the information at the link I posted??? Or at the link Sem posted?

[Edited by LanSite on 11-07-2001 at 07:40 PM]

lan, give it up. it did not help/inform him the first time you said it. what makes you think it will help/inform him the second time?

gawd, I hope I'm wrong, and he got RID of the comet cursor... I avoid it like the plague. and to think, you would think that a word like SPY would cause some alarm...

I downloaded Ad-ware and it detected some spyware components, should I remove all these components from my system? Most of them seem to be the comet thing and there's a few others with odd names.
    Remove them all. Anything that is listed is piggy-backing your system and "phoning home" on a regular basis. Run a Google search on 'spyware' or visit http://grc.com/optout.htm if you want more information on what spyware does exactly.

HTH,
    Sem.
    [Edited by Sem on 11-07-2001 at 09:05 PM]

Flashkits Non-Flasher
    OK i have a question...

I run ad-aware a lot to make sure i'm spyware free. But every time i run it, i have to re-install Kazza media desktop b/c it deletes the ads that it needs to run kazaa, anybody know what that file is called so i dont check it again when i clean my system w/ ad-aware?

**legal disclaimer**
    I do not use kazaa to download copywrited material

Originally posted by Juztin180
    OK i have a question...

I run ad-aware a lot to make sure i'm spyware free. But every time i run it, i have to re-install Kazza media desktop b/c it deletes the ads that it needs to run kazaa, anybody know what that file is called so i dont check it again when i clean my system w/ ad-aware?

**legal disclaimer**

I think it's called Cydoor. Go here to get the skinny from fellow Kazaa users: http://www.kolby.f2s.com/kazaa/ikonboard.cgi

Sem.

Flashkits Non-Flasher
    Originally posted by Sem
    OK i have a question...

**legal disclaimer**

I think it's called Cydoor. Go here to get the skinny from fellow Kazaa users: http://www.kolby.f2s.com/kazaa/ikonboard.cgi

Sem.
    yup, dats the one. I just ran adaware, then reinstalled kazaa and thats all that comes up. it installs 5 different things, including folders, files, reg entries and all kinda crap!..WOW that sucks

Juztin,

There is another spyware addition to kazaa called toptext. This site has some excellent info on this pesky kazaa addition: http://www.simplythebest.net/info/spyware.html

For an excellent resource regarding intrusive, unethical technology, visit:
    http://www.thiefware.com/

Also, there is an app that contains a list of 1000+ programs that contain spyware. Plug a name into the app and it will let you know if the software is clean. This app is similar to a virus scanner in the fact that the list is updated every so often. It's good stuff:

http://camtech2000.net/Pages/SpyChaser.html

HTH,
    Sem.
    [Edited by Sem on 11-07-2001 at 10:05 PM]

it installs 5 different things, including folders, files, reg entries and all kinda crap!..WOW that sucks
    Try using Morpheus. I don't have the P2P proggy, but from what I read it is supposedly free of spyware (exclusing banner ads)

Sem.

Originally posted by LanSite
    Without meaning to sound rude, but more to give you a verbal 'wake up' slap ~ did you happen to read the information at the link I posted??? Or at the link Sem posted?

[Edited by LanSite on 11-07-2001 at 07:40 PM]
    your link got me:

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, accsnetc@accs-net.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Flashkits Non-Flasher
    Originally posted by Sem
    it installs 5 different things, including folders, files, reg entries and all kinda crap!..WOW that sucks
    Try using Morpheus. I don't have the P2P proggy, but from what I read it is supposedly free of spyware (exclusing banner ads)

Sem.
    Right on..thanks i'll have a look into it

Originally posted by Sem
    Spyware. Ditch it as soon as possible. Go here to get some freeware that will strip it from your system:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/aaw.html

Sem.

P.S. If you don'rt mind spending some cash, get Ad-Aware Plus. It will monitor your system and stop spyware when it tries to install itself and alter your registry.

is it really a spyware?? :O