A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Transparent SWF

I want to do a SWF file transparent , for the "Internet Explorer", I can Do it, but... How can i do it for NetScape?

Thanks a Lot.

It can't be done in netscape

How do you do it in IE?

Originally posted by bgbuck7
    How do you do it in IE?
    Try to add it in HTML
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">

Originally posted by Ertaizinger
    I want to do a SWF file transparent , for the "Internet Explorer", I can Do it, but... How can i do it for NetScape?

Thanks a Lot.
    I love this question.

I've been away from this forom for about 2 years, and the same questions about transparent flash are here.

It can be done in IE.

Netscape will not support ActiveX, so it cannot be done it Netscape. Though with all the open source code floating around, its a surprise no-one has written a flash plug-in for Netscape that will allow it.

Visual Basic does it with the ActiveX control easily. C++ does not. C++ can do it, but it takes a decent amount of knowledge about ActiveX and COM, not for the idle programmer.

The Flash Player SDK does it better ( faster ) than IE and ActiveX with some minor modifications. It can also draw on any surface and does not require activeX. So you can have a charcter hopping around on the desktop if you like! Or you could do exactly what *********** and these other apps do, and just use regions with your flash window - means the shape is generally fixed.

Am I still up to date with this issue?

I have examles of all of em if you're interested ( except for netscape plug-in )

With the SDK, could you theoretically make a player that allows for transparent swf's on Netscape?

Originally posted by dbonneville
    With the SDK, could you theoretically make a player that allows for transparent swf's on Netscape?

yes, you certainly can.

What do I need to get started with the SDK? Do you have to call MM and apply for it or is it a free download. Is it just C++ and then you compile it?

Now, I am aware of a new media product that allows the delivery of flash content that is transparent over IE and Netscape or whatever browser, is not dependent on the browser at all, and delivers a hightly optimized 50k version of the player. Would this have been done with the SDK? The product is at unitedvirtualities.com...any comments on what it appears to be? You can't see a "live" demo, but a "flash" demo of the technology...

Originally posted by dbonneville
    any comments on what it appears to be? You can't see a "live" demo, but a "flash" demo of the technology...
    well its hard to tell because as you say there're no live demos to see.

It may not be flash at all. It does say that there's no need to download anything, and so it would have to be already built into the browser. I'd say it's possibly a clever use of DHTML, images and SVG. DHTML does allow alpha transparency, which would explain the fades. It would also explain their ability to place things exactly where they wanted it on screen.

The player SDK is available from Macromedia. You have to fill in a form and apply - then they get back to you (eventually). Its under licensing in the flash section of their site. They really only intend it for companies. You have to declare what you want to use it for - a commercial product usually.

Dogo

Wink

Hi dogo,

I post a question related to transparent swf issue, do you know how to solve the transparent form problem in VB? and could you send me your sample files? thanks in advance!

-e

Hi everybody,

It might be of interest to you all that we will be releasing a windowless flash projector really soon. It requires no designer intervention, no masks etc, it plays flash while changing players shape per frame real time (and real fast). It also antialiased the edges and correctly renders partial transparencies on Windows 2000 and XP. Flash 5 compatible.

If you are doing something really cool we could let you have a beta copy.

Originally posted by dogo
    Originally posted by Ertaizinger

Thanks a Lot.
    I love this question.

I've been away from this forom for about 2 years, and the same questions about transparent flash are here.

It can be done in IE.

Netscape will not support ActiveX, so it cannot be done it Netscape. Though with all the open source code floating around, its a surprise no-one has written a flash plug-in for Netscape that will allow it.

Visual Basic does it with the ActiveX control easily. C++ does not. C++ can do it, but it takes a decent amount of knowledge about ActiveX and COM, not for the idle programmer.

The Flash Player SDK does it better ( faster ) than IE and ActiveX with some minor modifications. It can also draw on any surface and does not require activeX. So you can have a charcter hopping around on the desktop if you like! Or you could do exactly what *********** and these other apps do, and just use regions with your flash window - means the shape is generally fixed.

Am I still up to date with this issue?

I have examles of all of em if you're interested ( except for netscape plug-in )
    I would love to see an example with C++. I am not very experienced with ActiveX or COM but there are those in my organization who are. We have a bunch of screens in our C++ app that would look ALOT better if we knew how to enable the flash transparency.

It's funny how may times I've seen this question asked and yet Macromedia will not provide any information...

Please email to todd@synerdyne.com

Thanks in advance.