A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ahh help please with Functions

hello:

Is it that difficult to call a function? Ok here goes, I have a movie clip that has a loadmovie(url) like this:
    function mySong(){
    loadmovie("/whatever.swf",_root.movieclipName);mySound = new Sound(); mySound.attachSound(whateversong);mySound.start. Ok thats the movieclip code I add the movie clip to my main stage and I have a button that I want to call the function...how can I do that Help please...thanks in advance

all you have to do is call the function by adding the code to the button

on (release) {
    mySong();
    }

make sure that the function is played or passed (in a frame before you call it)

that should play your song also make sure you put the ./ int the "./whatever.swf"

hope this helps

you can also save your function in a *.as file by copying and pasting the code in notepad and saving it as filename.as under *allfiles option

then in the first timeline of the movie put

#include "filename.as"

cheers,
    jimi mudgett

I did that still nothng my friend

I have the movie clip with the code that you seen...now in the main timeline I have on a button on(release){ myFunction();} it doesn't play...do I need a parameter or agurment in my function?

if the movie clip that you are loading with sound is just a blank clip with sound then all you have to do is make a function like this ---

function mysound(){
    loadMovie("./sound.swf","movieclip");
    }

make sure you have sound.swf in the same directory as your main movie. and movieclip can just be a blank movie clip somewere on the same level. just call it by using mysound();

you do not need a parameter unles you wanted to be able to choose different sounds to play and make your function more reusable you could do this---

function mysound(sound) {
    loadMovie(sound,"movieclip");
    }

then to call it you would use

mysound("./filename");

hope this helps

If you need additional help on this topic email me at preston_m_us@yahoo.com i will put an example together and email it back to you if you email me.

cheers,
    jimi mudgett