A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Designers £???k

After reading the thread about doing flash work for free, I'd like a bit of advice/discussion about just how much you should be charging for flash design work.

What should be considered when coming up with a price structure? (location, experience, qualifications, size of client....)

finky fonk
    hello SisterBlue

different people have different views on how to price and i suppose it changes depending were you are from. i work freelance, and after tax i earn roughly 200 uk pounds a day.
    when we work directly for clients we use this as a guide.

we work out how long we think we will take to complete the project (or stages of the project), add on a handling fee
    as you will spend ages talking to the client, organising content etc - this you need to take into account and charge for - then you have your overheads, eg phone bills, rent, the coffee you drink etc.

i used to only charge for the time i spent on the computer designing until i realised that I was spending just as much time talking to clients, having meetings and generally messing about.

remember to be confident, and belive you are worth what you charge. i hope this helps, and as i mentioned before there are different ways to work out a fee, just remember to charge for all the sorting out you have to do - with a larger design company they will have a project manager to talk to the client then pass on info to the designers. If you dont have this luxury ( talking to clients is the worst aspect of this job!!) then you have to charge for it.

cheers

fink

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Experience is very important. The bigger and better your portfolio is the more willing the clients are to cough up.

I charge R180 (South African Rands)per hour, which is, @ the current exchange rate, about 9 pounds an hour ?! AAAAAHHH!!

And another thing...

Remember also that in all but a few cases you won't just be designing in Flash. Even if someone else does it for you, the HTML side of the site has to be considered, as well as things such as search engine placement, uploading, server-side includes, etc. etc. All this takes time and money too.

You'll also be able to charge more based on location. As a general rule of thumb, the nearer you are to a major city, the more you can demand.

That said, there is really no substitute for a bit of research. Look at other design companies and see what they charge, then base your figures on how you fit in to the overall picture. Remember that if you charge less than them it may fire back on you if you go too low, and if you charge more, you'll have to be worth it.

id say about 10-15 ukp for general animation and prettynes and anything upto 50 ukp for mind blowing games design/action scripting

fink

your pricing strategy is just what I was looking for!!
    I guess the point is to remember there are alot of costs to cover, and that the final product isn't just dependent on the time spent actually designing.

cheers mate,

SisterBlue

finky fonk
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SisterBlue
    [B]fink

glad i was of some help!

good luck

fink

my company usually charges 150 US $ an hour.

Diaper Changer

Big tip

Originally posted by ignominy
    my company usually charges 150 US $ an hour.
    The price quoted above could be considered to be standard. This is a relatively convenient rate to charge. Though alot of ppl go for 200 per hr. US$150 I'd say is very reasonable. You all might as well go with this price tag from now before you loose customers and get left behind

But... always do your research on the company/person/client before giving a price quote. Get to know the client and all that he/she hopes to achieve. Then work along with them... give them advice and make recommendations too. This way the price will go up and they don't even notice it

P P P PEACE !!!