A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What is a sprite?

I remember back in the day when the posts in the Newbie forum made sense to me... back when i could help people out by answering their questions. Looks like i've been out of the loop for too long what with all these easy scrolling task bars and sprites. Which brings me to my question... what in the heck is a sprite?

the JesterTerrestrial Himself stumpy's Avatar
    I would like to know this also...

Are you getting this from swish? I believe it's another word for a [large]button[/large] in swish. Probably trying to distinguish itself from flash. If someone knows what it is, i would also like to know?

Also... stumpy, nice footer. Lemme guess, you created buttons and on the onmouseover event, you started a movie clip? or something to that extent?

I think a SPRITE is just "SWISH" termanology for a MC. Right? A sprite is a clip independant from the main time line! At least that is what I always thought it was.

-whispers-

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    A sprite is SWISH and macromedia's term for a self-containted animation with its own timeline. It is also a common term when it comes to animation.

In Flash it is called a "movie clip" .. Macromedia uses the more common "sprite" in its SDK documentation.