dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New to Flash, Have a few Q's

Question

Hey all.

I just got Flash last week, but I went through all the lessons of drawing, buttons, etc. Anyway, I was using Adobe LiveMotion before Flash, so I had a little background with keyframes and such. My question is, what are some good book resources to get on Flash? Also, I've seen some more advanced Flash files, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make a mouse trail in Flash? I want some graphics to follow where the mouse cursor goes. Any help is much appreciated.

I use flash 5 bible, but i heard there are better books. Making a mouse trail in flash takes a lot of actionscripting. Because you're new, i think it's better you get started off before asking a question like this. Making something follow the math is easy but i'm not sure if you're gonna understand.

Use the _xmouse and _ymouse property to interact with the movie clips _x and _y property (i recommend learning some more basic and elemntary flash first)

Where have I been ??

Well..

Though I personally do not use any books, I just tutorials online, I do know that at http://www.xdude.com , the webmaster has personally reviewed quite a few Flash books. You might also look on amazon.com and see how people that own the books review them. Alot depends on how you learn (reading, or visually).

Yah... i'm more of a visual learner, i don't think flash 5 bible was da best book but i heard it was da most comprehensive and thought... need something that is very detailed and explanatory. So i got it, it's not half bad written (lots of tutorials in the chapters written by professional flash ppl) and pretty good at explaining things cept for some of the more complex actionscript.

Well I would just do a search on amazon.com and read the reveiws from people who bought the book. But me I am a swish dude, its cheaper and easyer to use so :-P