A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Ripple effect help

Is there anyone that could point me in the right direction on where to find a "ripple effect". I know there is one in the flashkit movies. But I dont want one that complicated. It's too much of a clutter for what I want.

Any help is appreciated

ANd how do you load a swf movie into a movie clip?? I get it too load but it goes in the top left-right.. how can I fix it to load into a movie clip??

thanks
    Cory

As far as the movie clip problem...Just make your new blank movie clip, make sure you are in edit mode with it. Then go up to file ---> import file ---> pick your .swf you want to import, and then presto, it's right there in your movie clip. Go out to your main stage timeline area, and drag and drop the movie clip where ever you want.

If you are importing a swish .swf, the first frame will be blank or have that generated message in it. Hope that helped.

Slashus

thanks to me old mate stevietat2 i can tell you how to do the ripple effect easily.

in layer 1 position the picture you want to ripple.

in layer 2 copy and paste in place (ctrl shift v) the image from layer 1. then make it around 10% bigger.

in layer 3 motion tween a circle from small to large (like a ripple.

now mask layers 2 and 3. make sure you extend layer 1 and 2 to the same number of frames as layer 3.

i used this technique this my fire footer.
    [Edited by oz on 09-07-2000 at 01:03 AM]

Thanks guys!

Hi all!

Okay, I've got this simple ripple effect working but does anyone know why Flash will not show the maasking if you're just using a circle with no fill but an outline...I tried this first but it didn't work!

Thanx in advance!

NETbreed

OZ man, it didnt work, I dont get it, is there something more that I have to do?
    I'll try to get it working, but in the mean time any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Romeo.

i'll post an open source file, hang on while i make it.

the address for the open source ripple file is

http://www.geocities.com/whodidkilledkenny/ripple.fla

line ripple

Masking don't work for lines - only painted or filled objects...if you want to get a clean line draw a filled shape with no outline then make a copy of it. Reduce the copy a smidge and align both their centers. Highlight the inner shape and delete it. You should be left with a thin outline which you can then use as a mask....cheers.
    [Edited by mgb on 09-09-2000 at 10:08 AM]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Just covert the lines to fill, Main Menu> Modify> Curves> lines to fill. Now they are no longer lines but fill. Regards, Bill

Thanks Oz that was my problem, the masking wasent working with the circle out line I had to use a fill and erase the center, Ill use your method Pope de Flash by modifying the lines into fills, I appreciate all your help everyone.

Thanks again.

Romeo.