dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Laid off Flasher..Looking for decent Power Point examples

Hybrid View

hey there,
    I just started messing around with Power Point after getting laid off and the only examples/resources I've found are cheezy, horrible, lame, etc., etc. Anybody know of any definitive developer's resources for Power Point??
    I love Flash, but I need a job

Ambassador of Style
    Heh, honestly - be careful. I know many companies that only deal with PP because of it's ease to edit content on the fly. But, by pulling text dynamically off a text file - you can achieve the same level of editiblility - in a much better package. I've found that companies that have a budget to do so - will look to make presentations in Flash instead of PP. Everyone uses PP - and by pitching to whomever with a Flash presentation - it can make them really stand out!

Good luck!

-A02

text

oh, believe me, I know. Power Point makes me gag. I'm just trying to get my foot into the door so I can at least jump on a few projects from the get-go. Once I'm 'in' as a power point guru, i'll try to sway them into Flash use.

PP is lame

As with any MS product meant for the masses, but some people manage to do some fairly decent stuff and it is quick and they don't need to hire a designer. But wouldn't it be kewl if you could make a handful of canned Flash presentations - sort of template like - that could be dynamic, grab the content from text files? Then the end user could modify the presentation simply by editing the text file(s). Sounds feasible, may have to look into it. If it would work, could also be a saleable product. hmmm...

Re: PP is lame

hmm. interesting. i see an interface that allows you to easily manipulate the templates and a built in text editor. hmm. you know, it's really all about marketing. unfortunately Microsoft will easily crush any competition, although how much business would you have to actual do where a competitor such as microsoft would even notice? and then perhaps they may buy you out. hmm. I think one of the popular aspects of PowerPoint is the integration of Excel and graphing. But with Flash and Generator maybe it can be just as efficient. Again, it's more for the internal corporate setting that has all of their content in MS Office apps. hmm.

Unhappy go against ms?!

no way, couldn't go against MS. it would be nearly impossible to match the ms marketing machine. i didn't think that an app could be built from Flash to take on powerpoint, the penetration that it has is incredible.

but, selling the service to make some canned flash presentations that the end user can easily modify later - that has some real possibilities. if the price could be set so the developer could make some dough as well as a good deal for the user, it just might go. finding a place to market wouldn't be that difficult, aim at small business types that want to stand out from the rest of the small business types.

almost a biz plan here...

templates

haha..

have you seen this thing happening?

http://www.prosmarketing.com/

click on the "Build your own Flash Template" thing.

Seems to work, it's generic. The company I was working for actually had me build something like these, although they didn't have the online functionality. I have also used the Generator Authoring tools to create a few templates that contain .jpg placeholders. When published they are pulled into the .swf. So you can have, say, your company logo, and your CEO images as external .jpgs as part of the template. Real basic stuff, but can of course 'wow' many people, especially if they want it cheap and quick (isn't that what everyone wants? )

Smile hmmm

no, hadn't ever seen that before. but i have seen similar sites. i haven't been able to go that deep into flash yet, been too busy with other projects. the company i work for doesn't use many presentations but a lot of web work so i stay pretty busy there.

maybe can develop something in house for them to use next year. who knows... i'll have to keep rolling this around in my head.

Re: hmmm

i hear ya. there's only so much time to explore. it basically comes down to marketing. like the "pet rock".

Originally posted by Bill
    no, hadn't ever seen that before. but i have seen similar sites. i haven't been able to go that deep into flash yet, been too busy with other projects. the company i work for doesn't use many presentations but a lot of web work so i stay pretty busy there.

maybe can develop something in house for them to use next year. who knows... i'll have to keep rolling this around in my head.