A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Images Look Like Doogie

Sr. Member and still clueless!
    I have imported a nice looking Pict file into Flash. After placing it and exporting the movie the image looks terrible. I have gone into the options of the image and set them to JPEG 100% and even Lossless PNG, this in additon to setting the export settings ot JPEG 100%. It doesn't seem to matter wether I do an export or a Publish, the image still looks bumpy. The curves in the image should appear smooth but they're not upon export or publish. What gives?

Have you turned off the smoothing option in the picture properties inside flash. Every image that you import into flash is automatically smoothed, this improves the apearance of the image when you are using high jpg compression, BUT, this does not work when you have an image that contains lots of lines or solid colors.

To get the best quality, set the image properties to PNG losless and disable smoothing, this should give you an image close to what it was outside of flash, but be warned that you will not be able to resize the image in flash, as it will appear jaggedn and pixelated when you do.

Sr. Member and still clueless!
    Originally posted by threnody
    but be warned that you will not be able to resize the image in flash, as it will appear jaggedn and pixelated when you do.
    So what you are saying is if I use the PNG option with the Smoothing turned off, I need to import an image that is to the exact size?

One more question: based on the above note, I would tnen speculate that it would be best if raster images are created at 100% in Photoshop and not at increased resolution and then scaled down in Flash?

Mark

yup

check the QUALITY the flash player is set at