A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Burning Flash to a CD

Ok, I made some movies I want my friends to view. Can I burn the Flash Movie onto a CD and have someone run the movie on thier PC without Flash??? Maybe through Windows Media or some program of that type??? I haven't heard to much about this, so I didn't know if you could? Any help is much appreciated. thanks.

They'll need the Flash plug-in to view it on their computers.

I think you can convert the Flash movie to an .exe file but I'm not sure how it's done. Hopefully someone else will post about how to export to an .exe file.

But most people that use the web have the flash-plug-in...right? I heard 98% that surf the web have the plug-in. So I have to create an .exe file?

Originally posted by bradym
    But most people that use the web have the flash-plug-in...right? I heard 98% that surf the web have the plug-in. So I have to create an .exe file?
    Right you are!

Most of the new browser come with the Flash plug-in already. IE6 does.

I don't know if 98% have the Flash plug-in but I know it's very popular.

About creating an .exe file, it's up to you.

I think you could choose to create an .exe file when you publish it. Just got to file > Publish settings.

yea all you do is go to publish settings and check off the exe file to be published. The go to the folder where your published product is and u can burn the yourname.exe file

portibility

remeber that .exe's only work on windows so remember that people with macs or linux won't see your work if its an exe. I think you can make a cd so it installs the flash plugin of the cd. Another point is that if you make an exe it will incese the file size by bout 300kb

Thanks for the help...I have one more question? could I create a flash exe file/movie where you coulld select which movies you want to play from a menu created in flash. Then have that movie call the other movies which were selected? Or am I getting in over my head... I'm fairly familar with flash---just not in the publishing area...Thanks again!

hmmm that sound like a good idea. Im not sure if its possible mabye someone else knows

Yup...

Yeh, its possible... but its kinda complex if ya wanna play different files... i forgot wut its called... but if its in the same file, I guess make it play a diff scene for each movie when ya click on it...

You do not need flash installed to watch a flash .exe(aka projector) file the reason is when you publish an exe flash automatically adds a small flash player to the exe itself.Therefore no need for them to even have flash installed.THANK YOU MACROMEDIA.

Oh yeah one more thing. That extra 300k that is added to your flash movie when you publish your exe is actually the extra little flash player being automatically added to your movie.

Thanks...it does sound a bit complex...Maybe I should just have a menu calling scene's in the same movie. OK now I need to how to go about doing that... Is that just basic actionscripting. I'll check the tutorials here. Thanks again.