A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is it legal to claim copyright over something that isn't officaly copyrighted?

Is it legal to claim copyright over something that isn't officaly copyrighted?

I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of people have at the bottom of their page, (C)2001 Bla bla bla, but there is NO legal copyright statment, or terms and conditions, and after checking the Patent Office web site http://www.patent.gov.uk/ you have to state the copyright statment to make it legal.

So are these people with copyright statments actualy law binding people? - because they probaly don't own the copyright anyway.

moving this to the Boardroom - good luck

a

Originally posted by Aria
    moving this to the Boardroom - good luck

a
    Good luck! Im worried now...

Guys, im new to the boardroom, so be gentle...

Lengthy Member
    Read the page on that site you linked to marked "What is a Copyright" - the first paragraph will answer your question. It's the same way in the US, btw. Once something is in fixed form, you own the copyright to it.

the confusion about copyrights though, is that in a court of law, you have to show that you owned/created the object prior to somebody else laying claim to the object.

Copyrights are not a registered thing, such as Trademarks, Servicemarks, and Patents... but, they can be enforced via loose laws that exist.

Electronic copyright laws in the states are totally interpretive and honestly... confusing to defend.

hope that helps.

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    just another tidbit, kinda off topic.

For patents, in some countries, it's first to create (so the age old trick of post dating a letter with proof that you created the invention inside, then mailing it to yourself, is legal and the invention is truely yours), but in other countries it's first to patent, which means it doesn't matter if you created the invention years ago, as long as someone patents it first, then you're out of luck.

United States Presidential Hopeful in 2028
    Originally posted by Enterfaze
    Read the page on that site you linked to marked "What is a Copyright" - the first paragraph will answer your question. It's the same way in the US, btw. Once something is in fixed form, you own the copyright to it.
    I read something similar to what's being referenced here on a US copyright site before (don't ask me when ). But with the Internet being completely international I wouldn't know what regulations would apply or if they could even be enforced effectively.

Have you had a problem with this before, or were you just curious?

I like the new asheep footer.

I am a bit confused to whom you are speaking to, so I'll answer anyway...

I am making a web site and I wanted to know if it was actually legal to put a Copyright statment at the bottom without having registered it with any Patent office.

I would think that depending on where the server is, is what laws you obide by.

RE Footer:I have an even better one coming soon...

United States Presidential Hopeful in 2028
    Originally posted by asheep_uk
    I am a bit confused to whom you are speaking to, so I'll answer anyway...

I am making a web site and I wanted to know if it was actually legal to put a Copyright statment at the bottom without having registered it with any Patent office.

I would think that depending on where the server is, is what laws you obide by.

RE Footer:I have an even better one coming soon...
    After reading the source you provided and the one I saw about US regulations, you would be fine adding that information since Copyrights don't have to be registered.

I wait in anticipation of the new footer.

Correct,

Although simply stating a copyright on a webpage does very little to prove the actual date of the copyright (as opposed to print..which can be proven)

I can create a site and backdate it as far as I want to..but it doesn't give me any more ability to lay claim to it than anyone else.

For a solid copyright, you'd need to actual go through the process..etc..

The best way to prove a web publishing date is to file a form TX with the library of congress. I believe it is only $25.00 or so.

Thomas, Proposal Kit