A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: long MP3 won't stop playing

Cool

Hi, forum. First of all, bless all of you old salts who make a bee-line to the Newbies threads to read the likes of this. You're the class I should be taking at the local BOCES, but for lack of $.

Anyway, today I placed a 4-minute-long piece of music, an MP3 with top resolution (iTunes), onto a layer, to read the track onto an exposure-sheet. (Anyone remember those?) The song shows up as a single frame. I hit the Play button on the control panel, and the music plays. I hit anything else, or attempt to scratch with the red frame marker, and nothing happens. It keeps going till the end, or till I quit Flash.

My equipment: iMac, 256mb, Flash 5. My education: the manual.

Rick Wolff

HVAC guru

I appreciate the recommendation for the tutorial, but its result doesn't solve my problem.

Let me rephrase the question. How do you, in Flash's creation mode (not on playback), read a soundtrack -- how can I tell on which frame a particular sound, or note, or lyric begins? I'm used to the way it's done on a Movieola (yeah, I'm a fossil!) and, later, Adobe After Effects. I then make a reference mark in either a track designated for this purpose, or on a big paper chart called an exposure sheet.

Maybe in your answer I might catch a hint at why I can't stop the play of the music by hitting the stop button.

I can't imagine there's no way to do this in what's hyped all over as an animation program.

P.S. I looked again, and I only have 160mb of RAM, not 256.
    [Edited by Rick Wolff on 11-24-2001 at 02:46 PM]

HVAC guru
    Maybe this will help?
    1) Create a new layer, call it "sounds"
    2) Choose the frame you wish the sound to begin and press "F6" to create a key frame.
    3) Place sound clip in this frame
    4) Choose the frame you wish the sound to stop playing and hit th "F6" key again.
    5) Then add the action "stopAllSounds();"

I hope this is what you needed.