A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Question: Rolling Eyes

Flash Question: Rolling Eyes

I've created a flash document 100px by 100px and when the user hovers over a face, the eyes roll around and follow the cursor (http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Ma...738/index.php). I have embedded the swf into my layout so that the eyes follow the cursor as the user navigates the site. Unfortunately, the eyes only follow the cursor if the user is hovering of the 100 pixel area of the swf file. I assume this is normal behaviour, I guess I didn’t take this into consideration when I had the idea – as it’s obviously pointless now seeing as the user has no need to hover over the header image.

Is it somehow possible to make the moving eyes work, even if the cursor is somewhere else on the screen (somewhere other than directly over the flash file - i.e if the mouse is at the bottom of the page, the eyes still follow its direction)...I'm sure I've seen sites do it.

Hope someone can help!

Andy
    Last edited by AndyHP; 10-07-2006 at 10:50 PM.

you might be able to do it using z-layer indexing and 'layer' a new FLASH movie (invisible) over the HTML page...and have the .swf do what it needs to do..following the cursor over HTML areas (so it seems)...etc.

That's an interesting idea...I'll let you know how it goes!

EDIT: I placed the object itself in its own div layer and used z-index to set that layer as the topmost - no luck allowing the "following effect" on the whole page though - still just on the small swf
    Last edited by AndyHP; 10-08-2006 at 03:25 AM.

Ahh okay - I get it. So I'd make a huge transparent SWF but have the small face on the same swf so it appears to blend in?

Also, with transparent SWF's - are the HTML links and everythign still clickable below. I assume it's completely invisible and no one would even know it was there.