A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Variable organisation

Question

Hiyas,

How do you all store your variables / functions in games?

I'm trying to make it object based wherever possible.

I was reading some tutorials from Colin Moock and he keeps all functions in one movie and variables in another. I guess this only really works for global functions as otherwise you would be passing around things like crazy.

What do you all do for variable/function storage etc?

Just trying to make my flash as clean as possible and want some "expert" opinion on the matter.

cheers,

DigiDino

Wink

Whatever makes sense to you. Since you're the one who will be writing it.. and going back to make changes.. hunting down a bug.. etc. I would say.. just arrange it in any way that makes sense to you.

Object based is good, whenever possible. Sure, I recommend keeping common functions in their own movie clip or even their own movie. But most of the functions tend to be very game-specific, and they simply would not be reusable anywhere else. I personally like to keep those functions right within the frames/buttons of the game (it saves all those "Call(thisfunction)" statements, which just makes it that much harder to track down bugs, imho).

As far as variables are concerned.. I personally like to keep them also within the movie/movie clip that I am working with. Trying to keep variables in their own movie just results in a lot of extra path typing ("_level2/shared/gamevars:varX" instead of "varX", yuk).

But it's mostly a matter of personal preference. Just go with what feels right to <b>you</b>.

imho

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000205.swf" quality=high WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=50 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Cool

Yeah, cheers for your input.

Think I'll go for a global variables movie at level0 and then local everything else.

Should make it easier if I want to move movie clips about etc....but why I would want to do that I just dont know as that would be a *bad* game design at the start

Hopefully have some games to show you soon.

DDino