A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: NEED SUGG- DUP MC AND LOAD VARIABLES

HEY.

I have the following code i am trying to modify to fit my needs and im looking for some suggestions.

//frame 1
    num = 15;
    ypos = 10;
    n = 1;
    while (n <= num) {
    duplicateMovieClip ("button", "button" add n, n);
    setProperty ("button" add n, _y, ypos + n*32);
    n = n + 1;
    }
    setProperty ("button", _visible, 0);

The MC "button" contains 2 variables that need to be changed as the MC is duplicated.

The first variable is "Book"
    The second variable is "Title"

I want to be able to load these variables from a txt file externally, to make the editing process a bit less painless, and have the MC duplicate and insert the values of Book, Title, then the next duplicate would have Book1, Title1, etc, from what i would have in the text file.

I understand the process of duplicating the main MC, "button" as scripted above, although i am lost as to how to control the naming of the dynamic text boxes (holding the Book and Title variables) in each duplicated MC, so i can link these variables from the text file.

Anyone have any good ideas?

thanks
    eric

this might work (but i haven't tested it):

since each duplicated instance has a name (button1, button2, etc. . ) you should be able to just target the text boxes this way: button1.Book, button2.Title.

here is the part i am guessing on: if you have the variable that is being passed in called button1.Book instead of Book1, maybe it will work.

hope that helps.