A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: asx -> wav or mp3 format?

Hi there,

is there a way to convert the asx format to wav or mp3 format?

cheers

.asx isn't a music format.
    An asx file is a text file, that is basically only a link to the actual media file. To find the actual media filename, open the .asx file in notepad or other text editor. Chances are, the media file will be either a .asf or .wma file, both of which are streaming formats.

I'm not sure, but I believe there are programs to convert an asf to a wav, try doing a search for that on a search engine. If you don't have the actual asf file on your computer, chances are good also that even if you download it, you might not be able to play it, as it was designed to be streamed from a server, and not played from your files. Some are like this, some are not.
    Even if you succeed in getting it to play, I also doubt the sound quality would be that good after such a conversion to .wav though, since an asf is already greatly compressed, but again...I've never tried it.

hi

thanks for your suggestion....

Corrent, most time an asx file is a text file and it is editable! you can use the following format to crate an asx file for streaming formats

<ASX VERSION="3.0">
    <ENTRY>
    <REF HREF="http://domain_name/path/filename.mp3" />
    </ENTRY>
    </ASX>

However, the file I got is different. The file size > 2.5MB! Also, I tried to edit by notpad. After opening, it looks mess! :-(

Anyway, thanks for your post! :-) :-))

cheers

You can use a ASX Converter to convert the files. Type "ASF Converter" in google and you may find a solution.

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    ...have you noticed that this topic is almost 12 years old ?

wolf