dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Music keeps restarting

Music keeps restarting

Here's the site...

I just can't figure out why the music restarts every time I go to another section. Maybe that's not completely what I mean: I KNOW what the problem is causing....but I can't figure out how to solve it...
    At first I had the sections in seperate scenes...I figured to put them all in the same scene, linking them under different keyframe labels...Unfortunately this didn't made much difference. Currently the only working sections are "home" and "about". Try navigating through the site and you'll instantly see what I mean.

The music on / off consist out of two layers:
    1. The buttons itself
    2. The actual music clip

Deleting part of the layer also doesn't help, cause then the whole functionality of the on / off function is then eleminated.

I'm not quite sure what other information to inlcude more in order for people to be of assistance, but if there's anything you'd like to know just say so....

And if possible gimme some feedback....I don't mind getting negative feedback, mistakes are to learn from...
    Thanks in advance for everyone's reply....

have you try making the music a completely different movie and use loadMovie, load on a different level? it will help that the sound doesn't repeat even if you click the same section several time or different sections.

see http://mindycen.tripod.com/splash2.htm

I have the same problem

Originally posted by mindycen
    have you try making the music a completely different movie and use loadMovie, load on a different level? it will help that the sound doesn't repeat even if you click the same section several time or different sections.

see http://mindycen.tripod.com/splash2.htm
    I have the same problem. The music starts over when someone clicks on a button that causes the frame to move back towards the beginning. What it looks like is when you setup buttons to move the Flash move from one section to another the sound wil1 start over if the frame you are going to is a smaller number than the frame number you are on.

Example: Frame 12 = section 1
    Frame 20 = section 2
    Frame 25 = section 3

When click on a button to move from Frame 12 to Frame 20 you hear the sound play once. Moving from Frame 20 to Frame 25 you will hear it play once. If at anytime you click on a button to go in reverse frame 25 to Frame 20 or 12 you will get a second version of the sound.

In short I have not found a fix for this and I am beginning to think it is a bug in Flash itself.

You can see what I mean on my web page:

http://www.tobymack.com

If you click on the Introduction button after the music stop from the preloader you will get no music. This is the way it is supposed to be. This is also the way it is supposed to behave when going to the Site Map button. But if you are on the Site Map section and decide to go back to the Introduction section the music will play again. This is not a planned feature. Or if you are on any section and click on the same button a second time you get the music to play. As far as I can see the frame point has to go all the way back to frame 1 and then move forward to the frame you want to go to. this in turn causes the music to play from the preloader.

I think I am going to call Macromedia about this one.

Best Regards

Toby Mack

The music starts over when someone clicks on a button that causes the frame to move back towards the beginning. What it looks like is when you setup buttons to move the Flash move from one section to another the sound wil1 start over if the frame you are going to is a smaller number than the frame number you are on.
    That's it yeah...I see you sorta have the same problem, but yours doesn't play one over another. Must be cause mine is looped or something...
    I wonder how it could be solved...
    have you try making the music a completely different movie
    Yes I did, but this one was the only one I found and could figure out. Maybe you can help me???
    and use loadMovie, load on a different level?
    That must be it! but how do I do that? I mean I can hardly "action script" you see...I would appreciate it if you could go into a bit more detail you know...I really need to get this bug fixed...

I wasn't exactly sure about your scenario... but for a continuing music through out, you can try to choose "sync: start" for music option :O and choose how many times it will loop (depending on how long ur movie is). However I am unsure of how to make it loop infinitely... does anyone know? thanks!

THANKS MAN! You solved the problem! It's working now!
    C 4 Yourself!
    And it isn't that much of a problem if you can't make it loop infinitely, cause I doubt anyone would listen 999 times to the same tune...
    Thanks again....