dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help! Accessing library of loaded movie?

I'm trying to design a "skins" system for a flash 5 movie I have. There is a lot of ugly actionscript in the main movie and I want the graphics to be totally separate so people can edit a "skin" swf and the main movie will load that stuff up.

Since the main movie is pretty complex there are a lot of labels and different states it can be in. Each state of the movie is a separate movie clip that communicates back with the main timeline.

I think I could easily do a skins system that had each movie clip a separate SWF but that would end up being too many files to work with.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have the skin in a single file.

My only idea so far is to have the skin file have a blank timeline but all the symbols in the library. But I can't figure out a way to access the library of the loaded movie.

I load the skin movie into level1 then try things like this:

_level1.attachMovie(blah blah)

But no luck.... Nothing. Also how could I attach a symbol from the skin movie to the main movie? They're on different levels... What I mean is take a symbol from the library of the loaded movie on level1 and place and instance of it on level0....

Any ideas?

^

Does anyone know?