A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: photoshop problems

hi there
    in fireworks i can draw a square and have an outline colour for the square, can this be done in photoshop, if so how??
    once i have made a square i dont seem to be able to change the size it it?

another thing, ive noticed text in photoshop is really bad quality, is it best to write up the text in illustrator the import into PS.

PS doesnt seem as usuer friendly as fireworks, makes me wonder why its the industry standard?

thanks anyone

[quote]
    in fireworks i can draw a square and have an outline colour for the square, can this be done in photoshop, if so how??
    [quote]

You can do this with the marque tool and the fill the selection. Too Bar top left. Just hold down shift to keep it a perfect square.

As for the text, I've never been to impressed with it. Tend to be blurry. PS 6, tho I don't have it, I hear uses vector paths for text.

As for PS being industry standard. It is because of what you can do with it in terms of over all design and graphics in publishing. And, what I do at work. Batching and Actions really speed up processing mass numbers of images.

FW is great for compressing web graphics and implementing HTML design. Image Ready is Adobe's answer for web application. Altho I use it after doing graphics in PS first.

to get a square,work with the marquee tool as megatoon said,
    holding down the shift key while dragging the crosshair
    over the working area until you got a nice square.

to fill the outline, choose edit->fill outside (or
    something like that, only got the german version..).
    the dialog box lets you change some basic settings about
    the outline (line strenght, position etc).

to fill the inside, well, you should know...

always try to keep the fill and the outline on two
    different layers and link them afterwards. this way
    you can easily change the colors of both elements.

to transform any shape on any given layer, choose edit->
    free transform (ctrl+T). you always transform the whole
    layer, not single elements on it. holding down the shift
    key keeps the proportions.

hope this helped

cool thanks guys

even though PS has some stupid ways of doing stuff

Originally posted by fullyloaded
    ive noticed text in photoshop is really bad quality
    If you are on a PeeCee no matter where you go the text looks like ****.

PS doesnt seem as usuer friendly as fireworks, makes me wonder why its the industry standard?

thanks anyone
    They are totally not the same thing. Does Fireworks have anything to do with print? No. Photoshop was created for print work before people were designing web sites with graphics with anything.

Fireworks as an industry stanard instead of Photoshop? Not a chance. Like I said, they're not the same thing, what people have said above about ImageReady are good comments-that's what's comparable with Fireworks.

Also, text in Photoshop is not bad quality. If you're using Photosop 6, you have choices between text being Crisp, Smooth, or Strong, or no such effect.

mg33

Macromedia vs. Adobe

Isn't Macromedia bringing lawsuits against Adobe anyway for how identical the two layouts have become?

Well.. you know. That might work if only Macromedia had anything even close to the calibre of Adobe's. Macromedia need's to go ****ing home (In my opinion..) and face the fact that they're getting slammed in sales by Adobe.

The way I read it was Adobe has made their tools, menus and interface too similar. I can't really compare Fireworks with Photoshop, because I use them for two entirely different purposes. This is why I was so suprised when I read that they had some issues with Adobe. I didn't realize people were trying to do in Fireworks, what I usually do in Photoshop. The fact that Fireworks can't manipulate an image nearly as well as Photoshop doesn't mean there isn't a problem here. I'd have to give Macromedia credit for creating superior products in every other aspect accept this one and would hate to see Adobe have to mutilate the current version of PS because of something like this.

Originally posted by Arse
    Well.. you know. That might work if only Macromedia had anything even close to the calibre of Adobe's. Macromedia need's to go ****ing home (In my opinion..) and face the fact that they're getting slammed in sales by Adobe.
    So you'd take GoLive over Dreamweaver? What does Adobe have that compares to Dreamweaver Ultradev? I guess you also use LiveMotion?

Macromedia is the industry leader for web design software for a reason.

mg33

No.. what I was trying to say is.. FireWorks is such crap compared to Photoshop that Adobe has no need to copy them. The lawsuit is bull****.

question authority
    fireworks is nonsense.. it's like comparing apples and oranges though.. two totally diff. apps..
    m

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by Arse
    Nobody buys the stuff anymore, anyway..
    They are both losing money.

True, true.

regardless of wether fireworks is the rival product to PS, PS is still poorly done, yes u can create awesome stuff with it, but its still a piece of sh.it, simply because its so un-user friendly.

Only to people that are used to using Fireworks.

regardless of wether fireworks is the rival product to PS, PS is still poorly done, yes u can create awesome stuff with it, but its still a piece of sh.it, simply because its so un-user friendly.
    Yah, really makes you wonder how so many graphic designers suffer through it to turn out amazing work.
    Did you complain this much when Flash 5 came out?

mg33