A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: photoshop 6.0: how do you draw glowing/bright streaks of light?

howdy... i have a quick question. how do you draw a glowing/bright streak of light? itz difficult to say in words... hmmm... well, for example, like the effects used in the volley 7 and 10 from the 11.15 match found in... http://www.coudal.com/tennis.html any replies are greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

It looks like the streaks in the volley site were possibly made using a 3d application. In photoshop though, you can still achieve a similar effect.

First create a white, long, and thin banana shaped object using the pen tool in Photoshop. Make a copy of the layer and apply a gaussian blur of about 2-3. Make another copy of the original banana streak layer, and make a large gaussian blur at around 10-15 (fool around, I don't have ps on right now so the #'s may be off)

Now use the magic wand tool, and select the transparent area around the ORIGINAL non-blurred streak. Goto Select->Inverse. In the Select menu there's a command that's Expand Selection, I think (photoshop not on at the moment). Anyways, shrink the selection inwards.. the amount depends on how thick your banana shape is, but usually you should shrink it in about 5 or more pixels. Apply a light gaussian blur to that.

Now select the 2 larger gaussian blurred layers, and apply a hue/saturation, and colorize them, picking a light blue or something of the sort. Make sure that the largest blurred layer is at the back, and the shrunken one is at the front.

Now use the eraser tool with a soft brush set at 100% opacity to erase parts of one side of the large blurred glow. You should try keeping the erasing smooth.

Fool around with different effects by yourself, and have fun and experiment! That's what art is about

Smile thank you very much!!!

hey there!!! thanx for your reply!!! i will give it a try and see how it turns out. thanx. by the way, you mentioned that they might have used a 3d tool... what 3d tool do you recommend me learning? maya or 3ds? thank you in advance. have a good day.