A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Keypressed problem

Hello,

I'm developing a game controlled by keyboard and I have the following problem: if 2 keys are pressed simultaneously and then one of them released, I cannot detect which one is still pressed and which one is released.

I mention that the algorithm already existent on this site regarding the detection of the released key doesn't work fine in such situations.

Thanks in advance,
    Mihai

not sure if you're going to get around that one, maybe trim down the number of keys that would be pressed at the same time? one way to do this is toggle weapons, for example have two or more weapons you could switch, instead of having them all available, which would slim the chances of them pressing more than one key at a time.

another work around is use the mouse click as well as key presses.

------------------
    kennethAustin
    kenneth.austin@knowledgenet.com

Thank you for your quick answer. My problem still exists, unfortunately, because I have to move an object only by using the arrow keys in 8 different directions (top, top-left, left, bottom-left, etc...)....
    Any suggestion is welcome.

Mihai

I dont think you can get around this. If you have one key pressed and then press another one. It stops the previous check

Maybe in the next Flash version, MM will add this.

In platform games etc, just means you cant press LEFT/RIGHT and JUMP at the same time..gaaa!

DD

mihai -

i would use keyboard keys instead of arrow keys, as is done in many games. this way you could map 8 adjacent keys that would be pressed independent of each other.
    another option would be to use the left and right arrows to rotate your character and up and down to move up and back.

------------------
    kennethAustin
    kenneth.austin@knowledgenet.com

Smile

Thanks for your advice! I'll keep in mind.

Mihai

Lightbulb

Well, you could always create a list of boolean variables like

key_left
    key_right
    key_space

etc... and if the key is pressed, set the value to TRUE. Then, multiple keys can have the TRUE state.. and you can loop through and respond to the states of the keys..

The trick is to get around the key_up :-)