dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Installing OS X

Okay.. I've got a copy of OS X here but I'm a little weary of installing it yet. (Mainly because I'm afraid I'll **** it up.)

So what I plan on doing is.. borrowing a friends CD-RW (I don't have any spare external drives) and burning all of my "important" stuff to CD-Rs so I can then partition my drive. I've got a 7 Gigger so I've planned on partition it 3 for Sys and 4 for Classic and everything.

Does this sound good? I've got nobody I know that's installed it before.. or knows the right stuff to help me out.. so I'm not really sure about what I'm doing. Lol.

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

<edit>*turns on e-mail notification*</edit>
    [Edited by Arse on 11-27-2001 at 04:43 AM]

finky fonk
    you have the right idea - definitly back up!

I installed OSX a while back, but as my mac had to boot up classic for every piece of software I had it didnt make much sense to keep it on. I am now back with OS9.1 and wont be changing.....

Yes.. I've thought about that myself. Seeing as still many Apps (And most of the Apps I use) haven't come out with Carbon versions.

Even though from what I've seen of OS X it's absolutely fantastic.. there might not be enough software (The software I use.) to make it worth going over.

*wanders off in thought*

There are lot of variables to be toyed with... For instance, what type of Apple do you have? How much RAM do you have? What do you mainly do on the computer?

You need a minimum of 1Gb of space to install OS 10. And a computer more recent than the Yosemite G3 [Blue and White series]. I think you need a minimum of 128Mb of RAM, too... not sure of that though.

Judging by the size of your HD [7Gb], it sounds like you have an older machine. Which may not be suitable to really gain anything from OS 10. Also, I'd recommend dropping a few dimes and buying a new/additional HD. The prices are really decent these days. [I have a 12Gb and 45Gb on a 3 year old computer ]

Of course, backing up files is always a good idea. But, in your case, I don't know if I'd install the new System. [BTW, I do have it installed, and I don't use it very often since the software routing capabilities are lacking.]

... if you have more questions, I have been using OS 10 since the early beta seeds came out, and I'll certainly offer what I knowledge I can .

Yeah.. I think I've decided to stay with 9.2 until I get a new machine (Whenever that will be).

Currently all I have is an iMac 350MHz G3 which is of the 750 series (I think). I used to only have 64 MB of RAM but I upgraded it to 192 a while back. I mainly use it for web and graphic design but also run an 24/7 IRC bot on it too.

I'm not having any problems with the set-up I have now.. so I'm just going to stick with it.

Would be nice to have a machine running OS X though.

Thanks for the input though fellas. It's greatly appreciated.

I have OS 10.1 running on my home (g3 b/w tower) and work (g4) computers. And its great! No troubles at all. I just installed it over my current 9.2 at home and didnt loose a thing.

X is awesome!

Twister

Can someone PLEASE tell me how I can open OS X on my computer? I am currently running OS 9.1 and I know OS X is loaded on there, but I cant figure out how to open it. I just got a cpy of Toon Boom Studio and it is for OS X. Thanks

I'd imagine you would have to use a OS X boot disk or something like that.
    I'm really not sure.

*pokes ndl*

Smile

Hey Chip,

Click on your Apple icon(upper-left-hand-corner) and scroll down to control panel, there you will find "StartUp Disk". Click on that and a menu will appear. Now click on the little arrow that appears on the left hand side of the Macintosh HD. There should be be two folders. One that says OS 9.1 and OS X. Hightlight OS X and the restart button below should light-up. Click the restart button and you'll be on your why to OS X :-)

Two months ago I bought me a new G4 733. I installed OS X but at the moment I'm still running OS 9.2.
    I can't seem to be able to work with OS X, the outfit is so droopy that it really irritates me.

personally, OS X is the only Mac OS I personally use. Mac OS 9.x is just so... archaic and slow.

I have a (b/w) G3 300 (384 megs ram). I just installed OS 10.1 (w/ 9.2). The additional memory makes in run pretty smooth, but not as good as a G4 processor.

Also, to run Flash 5 in OS 10.1, you have to start classic mode (OS 9.2) which does not run as smooth in OS 10.1. Just wanted to put this out there for all the designer who work heavy in Flash on the (b/w) G3s. (now, when ever I have projects in flash, I switch the start up disk to just run OS 9.2)