A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Vector Sound

arcadenetwork

resolved [RESOLVED] Vector Sound

Vector sound is kickass and if you don't know what the hell it is you need to check this out:

http://board.arcadenetwork.com/forum...?s=&forumid=15

A must see for flash sound and we'll show you how!

What are you babbling about. Sounds like another lousy audio plugin that nobody is going to be to concerned with.

Its most likely another beatnik-type crap plugin.

quaranteed to have your users turn away.

No but seriously though, is this just some kind of scheme to get someone other the yourself to join your forum.
    [Edited by OkieDokies on 12-04-2001 at 03:53 AM]

XMF is the direction one should be looking in for this sort of thing. It is non proprietary, unlike Beatnik RMF and Koan Vector Sound. The spec is available from the Midi Manufacturers Association - http://www.midi.org/xmf/. It combines the downloadable sounds format (DLS) with MIDI.

Now whether XMF makes its way into the web is another question but there were some serious participants in the spec development such as Sun, IBM and Nokia among others.

from the press release:

The XMF Specification was developed by an MMA working group comprised of representatives from the mobile phone, musical instrument and applications software markets, including: Beatnik, IBM, Nokia, Sun Microsystems, US Robotics, Alesis, Cakewalk, Emu, Kurzweil, Line 6, Live Update, NemeSys Music, Propellerheads, Sonic Foundry, Staccato Systems, Steinberg, and Yamaha.

arcadenetwork

Some more details

I've put some more details in the forum linked to in my first post above^.

The music is actually produced from a text file and can contol aspects of flash eg variables, animation etc.... and vise-versa (Flash can control the music).

Read it then tell me what you think! If you check out the demo and think it's crap then come back I'll take your valid opinion, but you can't say it's crap without even looking at it. It blew me away and that is why I added it as a forum topic, just because I think it have amazing potential.
    [Edited by arcadenetwork on 12-05-2001 at 07:39 PM]

question authority
    I agree.. koan does have a lot of potential.. It's crazy (and ignorant) to write something off without checking it out first.. Some time ago, people probably said that about flash too.. vector based animation - are you crazy?

xmf does look interesting, but i think koan is far more developed.. unfortunately the links to xmf software on their site were dead.. is there software available? or is it just a standard at this stage?

Koan would really take off if the future flash 6 plugin would support it... It would be awesome for the flash audio community..
    m
    [Edited by monkii on 12-05-2001 at 10:40 PM]

arcadenetwork

Future in Flash

Have you seen the flash demos? You can find the links at http://board.arcadenetwork.com/showt...s=&threadid=29 The javascript DOM communication is complete and use of javascript, which most browsers do support now, between Koan and and flash works perfectly. You can even copy and paste a vector audio file into flash and it will play the music.

Due to this I think even if flash doesn't support Koan there is massive potential for use in Flash. Check out the Flash demos and tell me what you think.

Actually you can even sinchronize the sound better with Koan than what you can with the supported mp3 format that flash uses! Strange!!!

Gary

XMF is only a format, not software. It combines MIDI song data and basic synth algorithm and wave forms into one file.

Like the Beatnik RMF format, the idea is to build the sounds into the MIDI file, so you arent rellying upon users software synth in sound card or Quicktime to reproduce the music.

It is an open standard set by the Midi Manufacturers Association and will probably first be used in Cell Phones for cusotmized ringtones.

The Koan "vector" sound idea is a good one, but one needs the Koan music "rendering" engine for playback, thus making the format proprietary.

The XMF format is open and in theory one could create XMF files from any software synth or sequencer.

There is no current software for creating XMF. However there is a history of the music software industry galvanizing around industry standards such as MIDI, ASIO, VST.

Also the XMF format will eventually be part of javasound. There are already a number of companies producing browser based java sonification systems. This approach will probably come to compete with proprietary plug-in technologies like Beatnik, Koan, and Crescendo.

(Audiobasix even had a pop up banner ad for this very forum earlier this week).

question authority
    The biggest problem with koan is it is another plugin to download... Your average joe doesn't like downloading a plugin to view (or hear) a website...
    I have enough trouble already getting people to download the flash 5 plugin...
    however, anything is going to be an improvement on the current method of handling sound in flash..
    m