A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash/PDF

I am creating a web site within Flash. I would like to be able to click on a link and launch Acrobat Reader to view a PDF. What's the easiest way to do this?

Add the PDF to a button and add the file using get URL. This should open Acrobat by default but it depends on how the end users machine handles the association of Acrobat files.

Hope this helps!

Flashdunce

Thanks for the help! Hopefully it will be as easy as it sounds!

ok, tried that, but i must have done something wrong. when i click on the button it launches an empty window in netscape. any suggestions?

There's your problem, NN. Just joking! It sounds like you have your browser set up to open Acrobat but it doesn't recognise the extension or format.

1) Try putting an extension (.pdf) on it.

2) Post it to the web and then post the link to flashkit. I'll see if it works in IE5

3) Is the pdf mac or Pc and what are you viewing it on.

Flashdunce

Trust me, it is not defaulting to NN by my choice!

The PDF file was created on a Mac, and I am currently working on a Mac. I put the extension on it, but it opened NN. I don't have a site set up yet, I'm just beginning to build the interface, so I can't give you a link or anything. Any other thoughts?

Originally posted by flashdunce
    There's your problem, NN. Just joking! It sounds like you have your browser set up to open Acrobat but it doesn't recognise the extension or format.

1) Try putting an extension (.pdf) on it.

2) Post it to the web and then post the link to flashkit. I'll see if it works in IE5

3) Is the pdf mac or Pc and what are you viewing it on.

Flashdunce

One other thought is to publish the flash movie and run the html file. The other is to check the associates (that's on a PC) and change the acrobat file to acrobat, not NN.

Flashdunce