A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bringing text from an outside source

Bringing text from an outside source

Here's my setup

I have a text box, set to dynamic multiline text. In the variable (name I guess) I have news.

My problem

I want to upload a .txt file to the web, then I want my flash file to go out and get that .txt file, read the text, and make that the text of my textbox. I need to do this so I don't have to alter my flash movie, export, and reupload my movie every time I want to change my website.

Thanks,
    Untwisted
    http://www.untwisted.net

If I understand your question...

You want to make dynamic changes to your flash movie using a text file.

here's an example.

loadVariables ("Apps/Office.txt", "_root.MOVAppBank");
    define the source and destination

Apps is a folder containing the Office.txt file. Inside the text file I have a variable called _root.MovAppBank. In the text file simply right _root.MovAppBank = Today's news blah blah blah....

This example is a text box inside a movie clip inside your flash movie. If the text box is directly on your movie then leave the level to 0 in source. In this case I made a movie clip, called it Movbank in the instance panel then from load variable I used the Target to make the source path.

hope it helps

you can find that tutorial everywhere... ie: http://www.flashkit.com , http://www.actionscript.net

Bah

It didn't work, I put a .txt file called news in the same folder as my project, then I added this code:

on (press) {
    loadVariables ("news.txt", "news._root");
    }

to my button

and this code:

news._root = Test!

to my text file. I also made sure that the text and the background weren't the same color, and I checked everything else I could possibly check :-/

Thanks!

try this

loadVariables ("news.txt", "");

sorry should probably be more specific....

on (press) {
    loadVariables ("news.txt", "");
    }

and this code:

news = Test!

let me know if that doesn't fix it.

beh

Ok, problem with this code.. I'm still very new with actionscript, but with my experiences with other languages (namely Visual Basic) this doesn't tell the text to load in my text box does it?

OK,

If you have a dynamic text field in your flash movie with the variable name news. Then when you loadVariable(news.txt) you declare in that text file that news=your content.

I have only done this with scrollers in the past. I have a couple tutorial files that I could send you that you could pick apart. Maybe It would be helpful. post your email and I will send them to you.

Midntrdr

here

untwisted@untwisted.net, thanks!