A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why so slow?

Unemployed
    Originally posted by TheTrooper
    depends on your sense of whats humourous, I reckon =)

Are you still mad at me for my stupid teenage flame negative post from the other day Jezza? hope not ;-)

Happy sunday!

Love, Peace & Happiness
    Nah, I was just making a joke, hence the smilie

John's got lot's of ideas for boosting the performance of the site, these things take time so we have to all be patient. One of the reasons the board is slow is because for FK, the board is just just standalone as with other sites, it integrates into other aspects of the site such as myFK, flashtyper and content reviews. All these things add to the strain.

But then again, all these things make FK unique, I am still yet to see a flash resource site with anywhere near as much functionality as Flash Kit.

agreed. but of course Flashkit was much leaner and meaner whhen there was 50,000 members. I just hope that John can figure out the tweaks to the code to optimize the speed o fthe board. The rest of FlashLit works preety fast.

Unemployed
    agreed. but of course Flashkit was much leaner and meaner whhen there was 50,000 members. I just hope that John can figure out the tweaks to the code to optimize the speed o fthe board. The rest of FlashLit works preety fast.
    Absolutely, it's the size of the boards that slow it down. It's based on mySQL and PHP and these aren't the fastest tools around. mySQL (or at least the version we are running on) is only really aimed at small to medium sized db's and FK probably outgrew it. I think they may have improved it since then, I believe the crew at slashdot were pretty much funding it's development as they used it on their site. John may know more about this than me (I am probably wrong about all of it )

Anyway, John's got plenty of things lined up to try, lot's of small tweaks should help make a big difference over time to the performance.

Civilian
    Originally posted by jezza

Absolutely, it's the size of the boards that slow it down. It's based on mySQL and PHP and these aren't the fastest tools around. mySQL (or at least the version we are running on) is only really aimed at small to medium sized db's and FK probably outgrew it. I think they may have improved it since then, I believe the crew at slashdot were pretty much funding it's development as they used it on their site. John may know more about this than me (I am probably wrong about all of it )
    I uhhhh, well, kinda. MySQL prides itself in being fast, and it is, under small load. Ref Tim Perdue, phpbuilder.com, they did some benchmarks on sourceforge's backend, I believe. MySQL was quick out of the gate, but as load increased it began to choak. They ended up switching to postgresql, which is slower under small load, but maintains the same under higher load.

PHP, is just plain fast.

Anyway, John's got plenty of things lined up to try, lot's of small tweaks should help make a big difference over time to the performance.
    We'll get it. Jezza is helping to stear and offering a lot, which makes a big difference, since he's basically the board god . He's speeding up the process a lot, with his info.

Lightbulb Adding to the clog

This is my first day on this board. And I have to say that it is going so slow, that I would almost call it unusable. Maybe I'll just have to try it in the middle of the night.

It looks like there are all sorts of interesting threads going on, but I can't get to them. But I do get all sorts of error messages and stalls. I'm on a 56K connection using IE5. Here's hoping this clears up, I'd love to contribute to the ongoing discussions.