A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Puzzle game

Question

I am looking to biuld a similar game as to the puzzle example in the Flash sample list.

Looking at the action code there is a lot to learn here and any tutorial or walk though for such a game would be a great help.

Links, publications or ideas would be much appriciated.

Ted.

yeah i gotta gree with you on that one, i spent a couple of weeks looking throught that sample included in flash, even printed out the actionscript for each fram and item, still cant understand it.

i tried looking at the macromedia site too, and theres nothing there.

ill keep looking, and if i find anything ill post it here, then email it to you.

I know from experience that looking at someone else's code (especially if it is pretty complex) to find out how a game works is useless. There is no set way to write a game for Flash - there are underpinning programming rules, but there is nothing which tells you "start game in this frame, end in this frame". Variables and functions get thrown all over the place, and it ain't pretty sometimes!

What I suggest you do is read the stuff about variables and variable manipulation in the Flash manual very thoroughly, and using the basic principles try to tackle some more simplistic stuff first. Try starting with a simple calculator or something - that will get you experience in:

1. getting user input
    2. assigning user input to variables
    3. performing calculations with varibles
    4. outputing variables and results of calculations

I think you'll find that learning how to write code is a pretty natural process, but imho it's not something you can learn from a book.

Just to chime in. I disagree with your view of learning to code. When Flash 4 came out I know ZERO about coding (unless you count HTML).
    I learned by looking at what others had done and brushing up on my math skills.

brad

Senior Moderator

Thumbs up

I Think the Best Way To Learn Actionscript is A Mixture Of tutorials,And Experimenting That is how i learnt it anyway!! decomiling someones code without comments or useful variable names is confusing for everyone!!