A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: a few questions....

This will be my first post in the Swif.t 3D forum.....so please excuse my nievity (just got the program about a week ago and have been tinkering) I've read the PDF file completely! Now for the questions.....

1)I know there's a way to edit object paths (or alter the ones provided) because I managed to do so.......but I can't for the life of me remember how! Can someone go over the finer points of doing this?

2)When exporting the animation/swf. file, what will it's dimensions be? I ask this because I produced a spinning cube which appeared to be approximately .5 to 1.0 cm in my Swif.t viewer, though when placed on the web (simply uploaded the swf. file via ftp) it was about 3-4 times larger. I am by no means an expert with Flash or swf. files and did not put this into Flash and then export as fla. Would this solve my problem?

the address is as follows

http://home.columbus.rr.com/splashu/independent.swf

3)Not sure if many of you are familiar with SWiSH, but that is how I produced the swf. file seen above. As you may have noticed, the cube is NOT centered (or for that matter, where I want it), and I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to how I can achieve this (this sort of flips back to my 1st question about size.....I have a feeling that the animation produced in Swif.t 3D is the exact dimensions of the spinning cube, and nothing else, but not sure)

4)I use Ulead PhotoImpact 5.0 as my image editor (cheap and powerful) & have the ability to save files as eps. and am very excited about being able to render my images in 3D.....but, when saving in eps. format (in other editors like illustrator, photoshop) are they transparent i.e. without background? Or is Swif.t able to know the difference b/w the image and the background? This may be a simple question for many, but I'd hate to even go into producing some images and find I can't bring them into Swif.t without the background showing.

I hope this all made sense and that someone will kindly assist me with my questions.

Lane Mc

ALSO: Could someone please suggest an inexpensive 3D image production program geared towards beginners (like me), if such a think exists. Thanks!

[Edited by mmcvity on 09-11-2000 at 01:32 PM]

Hey mmcvity,

Q1) In the layout paramerters there is an option to view paths, just enable it and there you have it.

Q2)Also in the layout parameters is where you can set the over all size of the exported .swf, the default is 550 X 400. Sometimes, however if you upload an .SWF without embedding it in an HTML file, it will automatically fill the entire screen/window, so you'll need to embed it in a HTML file from Flash when you publish it. Just got to file>publish settings and sellect Formats and check off Flash and HTML if they are not already done so as they are the defualt publish settings.

Q3) I'm not quite sure how you brought in your Cube animation but one thing you might want to try, if you haven't already is to import the animation directly into a Movie Clip and then place it on your main timeline, this will allow you more control over its overall size and placement

Q4) Swift can detect which objects in an .ai or .eps file are filled and which ones are not and will ask you upon importing whether you would like to import the filled items only, the outline/non-filled items only or all items. Select the latter and voila! If you have Flash and I assume that you do...you can create you images in Flash and export them as .ai or .eps files.

Hope some of this might be helpful,

Good Luck

Panda,

P.S. your cube animation and site looks great!

Pandarts...........THANK YOU SO MUCH!

You answered the majority of my questions, indeed.

In SWiSH, I had to bring the cube animation into the swf. using a 'load movie' action in layer 1 of my movie. Unfortunately SWiSH is unable to import swf./fla. files at this time (hoping to see this in version 2.o). Thus, I have literally NO editing power as to where my 3D files will end up. Right now I'm gonna just keep it simple (until I really get a grip on Flash 4.0.....still learning and flipping through my tutorial book) So, I'm simply gonna produce movies which are identical in size and try to 'eye ball' everything. I know you're probably wincing and saying "ouch", but as I said, gonna keep it simple!

And, about the editing object paths. I know how to make the paths 'show up', but how do I edit them? Or, moreso, can I produce the path/edit and existing one by pointing and clicking, or do I have to manually move my object throught the plane/space and let the path follow in behind?
    Did that make sense. I guess what I wanna do is, produce the path, then make the object follow it. Doable??

Thanks again, gonna resize the Swif.t animation and see if I can center it in my preloader!

Lane Mc

Smile

YES!!

Thanks again Pandarts

(doesn't it feel good to help someone) 8-)

Lane Mc

Originally posted by mmcvity
    or do I have to manually move my object throught the plane/space and let the path follow in behind?
    Did that make sense. I guess what I wanna do is, produce the path, then make the object follow it. Doable??

[/B]
    At this point all you can really do is "...manually move [the] object through the plane/space...etc." I'm hoping that version 2 will allow us to create our own paths in much the same way as a guide path in Flash.

I'm really glad that I was able to be of some help to you and

Panda

P.S. did you manage to get the cube centered?
    Post and let me know.

I did, thanks to you. Clear your cache and check it out!

http://home.columbus.rr.com/splashu/independent.swf

Anxiously awaiting 2.0 (SWiSH & Swif.t 3D)

Hmm, I feel as if I should have the words 'rain' or 'electric' in my user name. Ha!

Lane Mc

Very nice..."electra" mmcvity (hows that?)
    Looks really good!

As always keep up the great work

Panda
    [Edited by PandArts on 09-11-2000 at 03:44 PM]