A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .swf running slow on Mac

Hybrid View

A flash intro of mine runs very slow on a Mac. It runs normal on a PC, but when I open the SWF on a Mac it is way too slow. The Mac is a 700 mgz and 256 RAM, so speed is not an issue. Can anyone tell me why it is slower? thanks

well for some reason all swfs run slower on the mac side. apparently it has something to do with the way a mac handles graphics in flash. its something that us mac users have to deal with. but according to apple its fixed in osX so we will see.

I wouldn't say so much it's how the graphics are being handled by the MacOS, moreso than I would say inefficient coding of the Flash 5 browser plugin.

for the ultimate slowness, try the *nix (unix, linux) versions...

I've spoken to the flash support team, and they also try to blame it on the mac system rather than their own coding. I've made a frame counter to test out my own flash movies, and found that even a blank swf will run slower. At full speed the differences are as such: 30 = 20, 15 = 12, 40 =30, etc. Very strange, it's wasn't even a linear proportion. To combat this (on a prev project), i've made multiple versions of flash movies, one for each platform (mac/pc). An example of this is at http://www.control247.com ---> Tour. This is the only solution I've managed to figure out--obviously not a great one, but, what can ya do?

yea i talked to them too about and they suggested increasing your browser memory allocation to at least 20 mgs tried that and it does absalutly nothing.

Dense Dense Revolution

Try this...

Here is some adive I picked up from Azrael7la:

"It may seem strange, but...

Use 13, 21, 31, or 61 frames per second.

There is a bug in the Flash player for mac that slows it down for some stupid reason, but changing it to the above rates will match the speeds between macs and PCs."

I tried it and it worked! Now my flash movies play as smooth as it would be like on the PC.

Hope this helps

Very sweet--I ran it through my fps counter with the movie set to 31 fps---and I was getting 30! Pretty sweet (though strange) work-around. Very good to know.

B

good job man i think i learn something new on this site all the friggan time. here is one more.

21fps

I read about the strange fix for framerate (Use 13, 21, 31, or 61 frames per second.) also a while back. I use 21 fps all the time now but there still is a discrepency in playback. The mac is still slower, especially on complex animations, very dissapointing.

OSX thus far is even worse...

Dense Dense Revolution

Yup

Yes, when things get complex it does slow down despite of the work around but hopfully this is a software glitch and the next version of the Flash Player/plug-in will fix this.

Through, for the moment I'm quite happy with the performance gain the work around gives me for my flash movies.