A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Download Speed on the Internet

Question

HELP - Ive recently produced a flash file with quite a bit of animation in it. After uploading this onto the Internet I discovered that the file will not download.

The HTML is 36kb and the Swf file is 114Kb.
    Why will this not download? how can I overcome this? Is the file to Big?

Ive spent ages designing this web page and now it does not download - PLEASE HELP

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

I would say it depends on how the movie was built. If everything resides in two or there frames using movie clips well this could be the problem. You need to make the front of the movie play with a lite animation so the rest of the site can download in the background. If that is still not enough you can add a pre loader at the begining or after the intro. 114K is not all that large. Most of my sites run in the 178 to 250 range.
    Try adding a pre loader to the begining of the movie. If you need help with this just email me. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Exclamation

First, cool down. That's the best way to solve things. Second, the size file is never the problem - I had a file once with 800k, more or less, and it work out just fine. The question is - did you tested it with the bandwith profiler? Are the HTML tags well done? How did you integrated the flash object (document) in HTML?

Your html page is suspiciously large. My html pages out of Flash are typically 4k to 8k. You might have something wrong there...
    Check your publish settings carefully.