A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamic content - loading images

Hey ho,

In my MC, I want the user to be able to specify URLs containing images. Then I want to load and display these images in my MC with specified sizes and suchlike.

I cannot seem to find any traces of proof that this is even possible. Can I get Flash to load external images?

Thanks,
    Urgas

Hi,

you cannot load images, but there are a few ways to convert jpeg to single-frame swf (and use loadmovie) on the server; there are also (very few) ways to convert other images to swf
    It depends on the kind of scripting on your server, whether you are allowed to install programs, and your budget

Musicman

That sucks... ah well, jpeg will have to do.
    So how to convert a jpeg to an swf? I need this to be done by the server when the URLs have been specified.

Thanks!

It's possible

...If you use Ming. With Ming you can make a form that users can go to, submit their images, and have them output as SWF files. Name them in an incremented fashion (image1, image2), read the contents of the directory with PHP, and make the last incremented value + 1 the next filename when you output the Flash using PHP and Ming. Then use duplicateMovie in a "receiver" Flash interface containing text fields set to bring in variables of the filenames from the directory.

http://www.opaque.net/ming

If you find a way to access and use Ming, let me know and I'll shoot you the code I developed for this.

Hi,

ming (which is shipped with php) can do it; htt://wahlers.de/webcam.html got a tool to install at the server (in unix and windows flavors), and I have plain php or perl code - try out at http://www.fontimages.f2s.com/private/jpeg2swf.html

Musicman