A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: mp3 sounds different in editor

Hello all,

I'm creating a movie that makes use of an mp3 sound clip. Everything is great while I'm playing the movie in the editor but as soon as I've exported the movie to a .swf the sounds quality drops. I have changed/checked the mp3 quality setting found under the Window-Options menu without any effect.

Has anyone had similar experiences or know a workaround?

Cheers,
    Kusco

Originally posted by kusco
    Hello all,

I'm creating a movie that makes use of an mp3 sound clip. Everything is great while I'm playing the movie in the editor but as soon as I've exported the movie to a .swf the sounds quality drops. I have changed/checked the mp3 quality setting found under the Window-Options menu without any effect.

Has anyone had similar experiences or know a workaround?

Cheers,
    Kusco
    Well once you import it into 3dfa it's not an MP3 anylonger so settings regarding Mp3's is not gonna help.

When you look on the properties when you load the mp3 in you will see compression options where you can set higher quality over lower size. You can do it for all elements individualy and at the top movie level.

If you bring the sound in as a .wav it will improve greatly. You can use a tool such as GoldWave to convert it from mp3. The size will not go up that drastically when exported, in fact whatever compression 3dfa uses for audio, it does a fantastic job, audio clips near 1mb usually end up under 100k on export.

-Jason