A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3DS Import limitations??? Help Please.

I'm trying to import some 3D geometry saved as .3DS into 3D Flash Animator 3.41

Is there a limitation to what type can be imported? When I do the Open File, I see the name of the file added under Elements, but the Geometry window is blank.

The 3DS file originated in Rhino3D--a NURBS modeler, and I exported as a .3DS mesh model. I even tried a basic sphere, but still no luck. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

resolved How many vertices has your Object?

Hi! Richardlin.

Well, I believe that after several attempts. I've an answer possible.(Are not 100 percents confirmed and isn't official
    , but I've obtained Import objects, with all its geometry)

I've made tests with several objects 3DS and have observed that the amount of Vertices influences. If they surpass the 2700 approximately, IFA them discards.(Geometry window is blank)
    With respect to the Number of Faces approximately it is in 7561 faces.

http://www.josephbrowndesigns.com/swf/movie_168.html

Exactly the rank I've not been able it to define.

It would be very good for listening to others opinions.

Joseph
    [Edited by MrJoseph on 12-23-2001 at 10:50 AM]

Re: How many vertices has your Object?

Thanks MrJoseph-

I've done some more tests and haven't figured it out yet. Currently, I've tried creating very simple geometry in Autocad and exported as 3DS file and that doesn't work. I also tried creating in Rhino a box and exported as a 3DS and that shows up blank as well. I guess I'll try Max to see if it's an application/3ds problem.

Do you have a 3ds file you can send to me that works so I can analyze it? What program did you use to model the jet on your site?

Thanks

Richard

Re: Re: How many vertices has your Object?

Ok,

I figured it out. The 3DS file must originate or pass through 3DS Max before it can be used. I exported geometry directly from Max, and also imported 3DS geometry exported from Rhino and Autocad and successfully brought it into the app.

Thanks!

Richard Lin

resolved Try this Other

Hi Richardlin!
    If the problem persists Try This

Ok!Let’s go From Autocad

To create a Rectangle Command Rectang: After That, Command: Extrude etc. in order to create the Cube.

Export From autocad to 3DS.

When exporting from Autocad to 3DS, each face(quadrangle) is triangulate That is. In our Cube six faces by 2 = 12 Faces. To Verify this.

Also I‘ve made the export of my archives from Crossroads Converter to 3DS and in any case it makes the triangulation of the faces.

In order to be able to import to IFA, the faces they must be quadrangular and non triangular .
    It tries to edit the Cube in your Software and leaves it with 6 faces.(Delete extra faces)

After That Export to Vrml 2.0 and to import to IFA.
    Check this out
    http://www.josephbrowndesigns.com/swf/movie_168.html

I make the process from Truespace extruding a plane to a Cube, later I import the object *.cob to Crossroads and from Crossroads I exported to Vrml 2,0 and and I finished with the import in IFA

I believe that this can be another solution.

Joseph

resolved Other Consideration

Hi! Richardlin.

Respect to this Subject. 3DS to IFA
    In some cases, the objects may have all of their faces normal flipped the worng way.(Within IFA the object becomes invisible).
    Test this I'm not sure 100%, but IFA 3DS Import Filter Invert the correct normals that it brings the 3DS object

The opposite does, Invert or Flip the correct normal ones of the object from his software so that IFA returns them to Flip and the object can be seen

By example
    In 3D max create a Sphere. Max places all its normals correctly.
    Convert the Sphere to Editable Mesh:
    In tab Modify >>Selection Label
    Select Suboject>>Face and Select all Sphere's faces.

After that in Surface Properties with all selected faces to Activate Flip.

Finishing export to 3DS and Uncheck Preserve Max's texture Cordinates. I don't have 3DMax but, I've worked with some objects.

I haven't worked either in Rhino3D, but all the programs 3D have an option to invert the normal ones.

Please tell me if this works

I hope that this can help.

Joseph

[Edited by MrJoseph on 12-24-2001 at 11:44 AM]

Re: Try this Other

I tried the normals flip and no go under Rhino. I'll keep experimenting though. But another interesting thing is that with simple geometry, Rhino3D works better using the VRML 2.0 export over 3ds. I can import spheres and boxes directly into 3D Flash Animator. Although on boxes, I'm seeing edge tears--appears to be because of the triangulation of the faces.

I tried importing more complex geometry, such as a portion of a headphone which consists of numerous lofted curves, and 3D Flash Animator would always crash. I've minimzed the geometry to flat planes, but still no go.

I downloaded Crossroads, and am still testing that as well.

others as well

You'll see from another thread that I too had problems loading 3ds files made with too different programs. One was sloved, (forget what I did different) the other was not, I HIGHLY reccomend you send a sample 3ds file to support so they can work on it.

Re: others as well

Thanks--

I will. For now, as long as you got Max, it seems ok---but of course, that's $3495 for a converter!

Richard

Angry More tests

Hi Guys!
    This it is another model(From Truespace's Library) that I've managed to include in IFA.
    Nevertheless the number of Faces and vertices are greater of which initially I supposed.
    I've been reading on Polygons and the lack of visibility must to that the polygons of 4 sides when inclining one of their corners pass to be NON PLANAR, is for that reason that * 3ds is based on triangles, because they always are planar.
    In this model I changed the triangles to Quad, and even so the model has good render.

http://www.blender.island.3dup.net/IFA/movie_171.html

I'm going to make another test to be safe of the process.

Joseph