A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Making simple animated sprites move about ; Impossible to export to SWF?

Hello,
    My searches through the forum have not given me what I'm looking for... so I ask THE QUESTION.

I'm trying to get a simple, small two-frame animated element to move around in a larger movie frame.

The Sprite :
    A 64x64 movie with alternating bitmaps (a child movie)
    OR
    A 64x64 animation object with two frames

The Canvas :
    A 320x240 movie.

I load the movie/animation element into the main movie. I give it a Move event. It behaves as expected in the IFA.

BUT when exported, the Movie/animation goes through its two-frame loop BUT stands still in the main screen.

I've been able to move it in SWF by modifying its x y properties. But that can't be the solution, can it?

Please give me a helping hand. Thanks in advance

Marc

Try placing the animation inside a layer, and then moving the entire layer.

-Jason

Hello,

I wasn't able to get it working by simply putting the animation on a layer.

You'll see however in my Reply to Sailfish's problem that I'm on the trail of a work-around.

Thanks

Marc

I am anxiously awaiting the solution.................

-Jason

Hello,

I've just added the tutorial (PDF file + two sample MOVIES) to the Flashkit Tutorials section.

IT HAS NOT, as of 5 January, BEEN REVIEWED YET.

These are the coordinates ;
    We have received the following link:

Title: HOW TO simple animated sprites moving around using Insane Flash Animator
    URL: http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/va...65/index.shtml
    Description: Show how to make a bird flapping its wings and flying around. For users of Insane Flash Animator
    Contact Name: Marc Petroff
    Contact Email: marcpetroff@freesurf.fr
    Category: Animation/Cartoons
    Classification: Intermediate
    Version: Flash_4

************ TEXT EDITED OUT BY THE AUTHOR ********
    Marc

[Edited by iosffzjqkafggfdqq on 01-08-2002 at 04:07 PM]

Sorry - the HTLM code above is badly done ; I'll try something else while we wait for the tutorial to be on-line...

layer works

Originally posted by iosffzjqkafggfdqq
    Sorry - the HTLM code above is badly done ; I'll try something else while we wait for the tutorial to be on-line...
    Ok here we go. Moving a layer did work, just not like you thought.

Firstly getting the animation in as a gif does work sometimes. Contrary to what I posted before, do use transparency but the first frame seems to alwasy get it wrong, just fix the first frame of your loaded GIf once it's an animation.

Put this child movie in a layer and set "Has properties" and "allow Volocity and Accleration".

In the main move set the volocity of the x and y of the layer and it will indeed move, and keep moving. You can take control of this wiht a list of actions and manuly set the x and y if you'd rather. I'm sure this will work for the original posters application.

As soon As I remember the damn password to the into3dfa site I'll post it there.

http://geocities.com/into3dfa/

This is an example site that Jason set up for everyone here.

Bret,
    ..........its in the mail.

-Jason

Iso your name is too long

Also you can edit down that long HTML post ok?

Anyway the examples are now up at
    http://geocities.com/into3dfa/

it's the last one at the bottom of the page.

Nothing fancy but my birds are flaping and moving. Two different ways. Enjoy.

Blanius,

You'll find a more readable version in my post 'HOW TO : Animated sprites moving around '.

FlashKit seems on the verge of adding my Tutorial to the Animation/Cartoon section.

It will contain a PDF file in which the text of the tutorial is augmented by a few geometric primitives.

...and those all-essential example MOVIEs!

I looked at your example. I hope to load the MOVIE soon to study it...

One thing puzzles me... I don't have some of those buttons that I see on your tutorial. Is this because I'm not yet a registered user? - I'm sure I have version 3.41

I was holding off buying IFA because of the trouble I had doing animation - it was a sore dissapointment ; I had made a cute Christmas Card that worked in the interface but was un-exportable.

Marc
    [Edited by iosffzjqkafggfdqq on 01-08-2002 at 04:04 PM]

Advanced Mode

Originally posted by iosffzjqkafggfdqq
    One thing puzzles me... I don't have some of those buttons that I see on your tutorial. Is this because I'm not yet a registered user? - I'm sure I have version 3.41

I was holding off buying IFA because of the trouble I had doing animation - it was a sore dissapointment ; I had made a cute Christmas Card that worked in the interface but was un-exportable.

[Edited by iosffzjqkafggfdqq on 01-08-2002 at 04:04 PM]
    Marc, I image the buttons you are not seeing are the "advanced" interface buttons, at the top of your movie and every element there is a pull down that lets you select between Simple and Advance interface. Make sure you are in Advance.

I wish 3dfa would remeber what kind I used last and default to that rather than "Simple" for everything.

I'm sure that the method I used will do what you wanted, for me the real problem with export is that "MOVE" events don't work right, most everything else does for the most part. There are a few oddities but overall it's WAY easier to do some things in 3dFA than anyother program. Look at my animated menu tutorial. I tried doing something like this in FLASH 5 and was lost, I Designed made the menu and made the tutorial in a few hours in 3dFA