A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Books on Actionscript?

Simple Question.
    What are the best books on Actionscript? Thanks for anyone who can respond.

There is no 1 book on actionscripting that will tell you all you need to know. It all depends on what you want to know. Just go to a book store, buy a cup of coffee, and read every book on actionscripting they have there.

I think Colin Moock's "Actionscript: the Definitive Guide" is a great place to start!

Good luck,

Rick

Originally posted by wyldstyle
    I think Colin Moock's "Actionscript: the Definitive Guide" is a great place to start!
    in my opinion, moock's book is a great place to finish. i probably use it every day, but it's pretty dense, especially if you don't come from a programming background.

i'd recommed phillip kerman's actionscripting in flash. it's well written and easy to follow, but covers some pretty advanced topics. plus, kerman does an excellent job of teaching a programammatic approach to actionscript problem solving. you'll be cranking out custom functions in no time.

my two cents.

d.

Thanks for recommending my book.

Check out full sample chapters and all the workshop files at:
    http://www.phillipkerman.com/actionscripting

Phillip

Actionscript the definitive guide

I worked through Moock's book and thought it was great to get alot of the technical details. But it lacks alot of usage in terms of style and use of object oriented programming. I like the Friends of Ed book Actionscipt Studio for those reasons. I am working through their PHP for Flash now, but I am finding that most of the example code in the book is filled with errors. Whats good about that though is that it helps you learn the syntax better.

Re: Actionscript the definitive guide

I have finished Moocks and feel that it lays down the cornerstones of your programming, and i love how it makes you use expert mode all the time. really helped me to be able to sit down and bang out some code. Foundation Action Script is alright but it jumps around on you. confusing if your a novice. I have checked out Phillips in the store and it looks great just have'nt been able to buy it yet. maybe ill just sit in the bookstore and read it. haha jk. I would say everyone needs a copy of ASDG though its really the fundamentals and reads well for beginners.

So Phillip I got a question. What will be changing on the AS side in Flash 6 or will it just be additions mostly. like more built in functions?????