dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Digital video causing balding

we have just created a new site at http://www.overnightdesign.co.uk
    and we used some dv but it was a painstaking task to create a silouete version of the person. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do this more efficiently as we want to use it more. Have a look at what we are trying to do. Any help would be great to stop me tearing my hair out.

cheers

since your guy is just an outline why not trace each outline using a graphics tablet? I know it sounds laborious but you're only doing a solid outline, it wouldn't take too long and if you trace it as a vector resizing and fine-tuning would be easy.

I haven't tried this myself, so it's all conceptual at this point, but:

You might want to try filming your person on a light background. Take the resulting images and bump the contrast way up, and bring the brightness down to make a silhouette (you can do this in photoshop with individual images, or in After effects... - works better if the person filmed is wearing dark colors). Then make it a bitmap with 50% threshhold (to bring it to just black and white). Then you can trace bitmap and create an outline if you want - at very least it will speed up your work.

Thankyou for your advice. We were using a graphics tablet but tracing close on 300 individual frames (before we got rid of the unessecary ones) was a nightmare and i was wondering if anyone knew if they was a way to mask off the silohuete using a white background and some sort of batch process. I guess it will have to be the good old fashioned way. BAH!

using a video editor and a high contrast video, ie someone all in black, black stocking over face, etc against a white wall, you should be able to reduce the threshold and contrast of your video so you're left with an silhouette.

then when you import the frames into flash you can trace them and refill them with your desired colour if it's not black, though i think there's apps that will do this for you in a batch process (like wildformFX?).