A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating an Interface

I posted to this community earilier this week seeking a Flash mentor. This is my project (my first site). i thought it world be helpful if I included the site info. I want to see actual fla files so that I can stud the timeline. i ned to know basic options as how to use navigation links. Should pages be movies loaded onto movie clips. (i constructed a project out of Sams Teach yourself Flash that put movie cips on buttons, loading movies into a movie clip created ot of the fill protion of a box).

http://www.zengardenherbs.com/
    using this site for inspiration

Thanks William Jones
    enter page....
    (phantasmic glowing psychedelic starrywhismic comicalthingy-like image)

Words in flash.....

"your body speaks"
    "my hands listen"

"experience your full essence" (image of an angel)

"pure life force energy" (kundalini image)

"your body holds the key" (julie marten image)

"to inner tranquility"
    Primary Links
    BIO PAGE.....(maxwell parish image)
    Description of Services.....
    (image of bath servants)
    Links Page.....
    Contact Page.....
    Music Page.....

BIO PAGE.....(maxwell parish image)

I am a graduate of Pacific School of Massage and Healing Arts of Gualala, Calif.

Upon graduation I acquired 3 years of massage experience through collaborating with health spas in Northern California, and for 1 year was a resident at the Heartwood Insititute, a Healing Arts Community in Humbolt County. In 1999 I came to Marin County and opened a private practice and now hold private studio space in Sausalito. I have been involved in the healing community of Marin mainly through personal growth trainings and therapies such as Holographic Repatterning, Shamanism and volunteer training at the Center for Attitudinal Healing. For two years I offered my services to trainees of the Academy for Guided Imagery, working with psychologists/healers integrating bodywork and intuitive guidance.

Throughout the past 5 years I have also channeled spiritual and mystical concepts & imagery through songwriting & have performed throughout Central/Northern Calif.

I have devoted the past four years of my life to spiritual emergence as well as expression, and look forward to assisting others in finding and illuminating their true essence through my healing work and through living my life as an artist/mystic....the road less traveled.

Description of Services.....
    (image of bath servants)

Massage: Massage is a way of becoming aware of the body through loving touch, nurturing and safety and of releasing toxins and stress in order to find a more balanced, harmonious state of being.

My Swedish Massage consists of long, sweeping strokes using the palms of my hands as well as the fingers, providing a deep relaxation through a fluid, rhythmic style.

Deep Tissue may be used in order to contact the deeper layers of muscle and tissue which contain blocks. It is used cautiously and with a great deal of sensativity and should not be uncomfortable or painful, however, it may alert the client to areas of the body that are not usually touched or felt, and can bring him/her into deeper awareness of the body.

Most of us hold a great deal of tension and even supressed emotion in the abdominal area, and with permission of the client, a gentle, circular massage, or deeper manipulation of tissue and organs may be incorporated.

My "specialty" is in neck and shoulder release. Many people who have been in car accidents or have had painful whiplash injury have a build up of scar tissue which can be softened through pressure point release or gentle stretching as well as Swedish style strokes. Heavy computer users, commuters and those of us who "carry the world on our shoulders" can relate to the aches and pains that are annoying and at times restricting; It is important to have relief from those tensions before they reach the traumatic stage....and of course, I always end with a nice deep scalp massage...to release mental tension.

Transformational Bodywork.....
    (image of hand holding butterfly)

This is a type of bodywork that I offer which addresses the emotional, spiritual, mental bodies as well as the physical. Chakras, or energy centers, are a key role in this type of healing. Energy is all around us and can be imprinted in our beings giving us clues about what beliefs/thoughts/emotions may be blocking our progress. I integrate certain abilities such as the gift of "seeing" images and/or thought patterns to reveal imprinted information relating to the nature of these blocks. If one is interested in delving deeper into personal transformation through the understanding and releasing of energies in their bodies, they might consider looking at these areas of their being as well. This process takes time, patience and communication ...and most importantly, an openness and willingness to see the truth of what is causing misalignments with our highest/most brilliant state of being.

SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE
    (image of angel with pinochio)

If you have a specific problem or issue about which you are unable to find clarity or peace, another medium I offer is the reading of tarot in order to see the deeper spiritual truths that lie beneath your understanding. Those who seek to "uncover the mystery" may benefit from having a facilitator help them view the subconscious for answers; but one must remember....you have all the answers, it is up to you to be open to receiving them.

Links Page.....

Sean Ahearn
    Rumi
    Center for Attitudinal Healing
    Academy for Guided Imagery
    Heartwood Institute
    Jolie Stevens, Holographic Repatterning

Contact Page.....
    Pager
    Address

Music Page.....
    Bio
    Song Samples
    lyrics (with sketches)
    Photos

what are you looking for from us? Feedback comment? help?

Want Examples of Site Navagation Structure

Hello All

The operative word is help-assistance.

In reply to my post I Want Examples of Site Navagation Structure, fla files I can study from that show timeline sturcture that demostrate ways I create links. To know when it it is best to load movies use movieclcips attached to buttons, or use movieclips sans buttons. I want to be refered to sites that are accompanied by fla files so I can see the timeline, and learn how the page was constructed. Using the information from the client, the best way for me to translate her text into a working site.

William

how dare u come on this forum, ask for out hard worked flash source files and not even have the class to introduce yourself! what is your name?

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!

nah just kiddin, look at the tutorials on this site and u will be shown step by step how to do all that stuff, plus u can DL the source files.

<---- WHAT? ---->

rich

Create Site Structure that calls MCs on a single long timeline

Originally posted by richp
    how dare u come on this forum, ask for out hard worked flash source files and not even have the class to introduce yourself! what is your name?

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!

nah just kiddin, look at the tutorials on this site and u will be shown step by step how to do all that stuff, plus u can DL the source files.

<---- WHAT? ---->

rich
    Hello Comrade

I'm copying and pasting this post because it explains just where i'm at in creating my first client project

I want to design a site in Flash. Now, what is the best way to go about doing that?

Many of us feel that we have to do at least one site completely in Flash. If for no other reason than to say that
    we have done it. So, I am not going to argue that other means of design are superior or not.
    Here are two methods of designing a site completely in flash:
    Loading Multiple SWFs: Using this method, you design your site so that each major
    "page" or sequence of animation is contained in its own flash file. The thing that makes these
    files different is that each of them has a blank F1 with a stop command in it and a Label on F2
    identifying the sequence. From your main timline on your base movie, you can preload all or
    only some of your SWFs and have them automatically sit on that blank F1 unseen and
    unheard until you call for them. You will load each SWF into its own level. Then, when
    needed, you can activate the SWF by using the Tell Target _levelX and Goto and Play (label)
    commands. You can also load SWFs into Movie Clips instead of levels and call the MC
    instead of the Level.

Calling MCs on a single long timeline: Using this method, you design the site so that each
    major "page" or sequence of animation is contained in its own Movie Clip. You will then
    design your site off of your main timeline, dragging each movie clip onto the stage and placing
    it in a sequence down the timeline. Each movie clip will be on Level 0 and will have its own
    label name. You will likely use Tell Target _level0 and GoTo and Play (label) commands to
    fire off each sequence as you need them. You have to place stop commands at the end of each
    MC sequence unless you want it to play on. This means that everything is placed in a single
    Flash file, so size and download time can be a consideration. The strategic use of preloaders
    will help to keep the flow smooth.

I have successfully completed the tutorial Loading Multiple SWFs described in Sam's Teach Yourself Flash. There is a utorial in Hour 19 of th same book that tries to explain how to create a site that calls MCs on a single long timeline.

Looking at the animation posts, the closest thing I find is is a tutorial that shows how to create a drop-down menu
    (completed a simple dropdown menu in flash 2). Can you point me to a tutorial (and how do I download the fla file anyhow) that targets how to create site navigation Calling MCs on a single long timeline.

Much Appreciation

William

i like ur style so just for you, check out...

http:www.//virtual-fx.net/

i recon the tutorials are better then flashkit's

rich

ooops

i made a mistake

link is... http://www.virtual-fx.net

My goodness...you obviously have no shortage of insight on "where you are and where you're going..."

Seriously my friend, surely you can simply transpose your insight over to what you deem to be an ideal Flash interface. You obviously are together with the flow of one's spirit; I know that you can translate that into the form of Flash navigation.

Cheers,
    Bryan T

nice interface...one suggestion though

Your interface is great! The only thing I would change is to make the hotspots for your "mouseover" buttons a little bigger. For people at larger resolutions (even though the movie doesn't get smaller) they may have a problem "staying on target".....just a thought.....good luck.

hello everybody,

sorry, DrumDesigner, but i cannot agree.
    the interface lacks any hierarchy, anything that gives
    you a clear insight where to find and to click (or move
    your mouse) to find what...

one of the main problems is that harryjr divided the
    site into 3 main proportions with very different structures.
    there is no way to tell which window to use to navigation
    further down the site. the links don't distinguish in any
    way from the headlines or even the body text.

my advise:

an interface should have a hierarchy, where, on top of it,
    it should tell you:

- what (to find, to expect)?

- where (to find what you need)?

this can be down with good headlines or pictures.
    (another hint: increase the font size for your headlines).

next your interface should, if you want to divide into
    several proportions (as you did with the 3 windows), make
    clear what function every window has.

(the first is the navigation, it stays in place all around
    the site. the second is the main content window, and the
    third something with additional informations (crosslinks,
    links to other resources, pictures...))

try to keep important elements as headlines and navigation
    throughout the site on the same spot. everything else
    confuses the user. think about the way the surfer has to
    move his/her mouse to navigate the site. try to keep this
    as short as possible.

last thing:

never rotate a font or a headline 90° clockwise. if rotation
    is needed, do it 270°. (following a text from top to bottom
    of a site is against the rules of legibility and gives you
    a negative impression).

but:

keep on working!
    we all started small...

toot toot
    looks like a bit of classic case of designers block - or just a complete lack of imagination.

Good design doesn't just come about from one idea that works over and over again. Ideas need to evolve, be studied and then to evolve some more.

Like a spring that feeds a stream, that grows into a river that leads to the sea. there are some big waves out there that are too dangerous for surfing on - so remember why it is you believe so much in your own ability, a great wave is made from the smallest, most tranquil source.

I hope this doesn't make any sense, for that is its intention - to get you thinking abut where you are and where you are going to. Just thought I'd throw a bit of zen about.

don´t...

... give up puresin. The typo lovers will thank you. I agree, but i find the site "sweet".