A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cloudy/Foggy Effect?

Hello. I'm pretty new to Flash so am asking your help. At http://www.lordoftherings.net (go from there to one of the main subpages), there is a cloudy/foggy effect (top right) that I'd like to recreate at a site I'm working on.

In PhotoShop, I created a left-side "foggy" effect and one for the right side. I then exported them to transparent gifs. I imported into Flash and all looked good at first, until I put a darker photo behind -- then I saw the my fuzzy/foggy images had pixelated at the point where it meets the transparency. I don't see a way to smudge or smear an image in Flash -- is there one? Can I smudge these edges to resolve the problem? Or can someone direct me in how to otherwise create this affect?

Thank you so much.

alright this might help:

1.) create your foggy/misty effect in a photoshop file (make sure it's on a transparent background) and save the .psd

2.) take the .psd that you just created, open it in fireworks and export it as a 32-bit .png file (making sure that you've retained the transparent alpha layer.)

3.) Presto! you now have yourself a beautiful misty .png file that can be imported into flash.

good luck,
    brian.

forgot to attach this:

http://briankiel.com/demo/

shows the misty .png trick in action.

No Fireworks

I only have Flash -- no Fireworks. Any suggestion?

I really like your Flash number -- very nice. Reminded me how very much I still have to (and want to) learn.