dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Artist block

I need to come up with a logo for a company and the 2 letters they want to see in it is "S" and "W" thats it the rest is open to what ever I can come up with. I have come up with a few but I am not proud to use any of them. I think I have been at it to long and need a fresh mind to help me. Can anybody help me out????

toot toot
    keep sketching, keep doodling!

What does the company do - this could be a good starting point, they will need the right corporate look. Logos are very difficult to perfect because they have to say it all in this simplest possible way.

How is the logo to be used? is it just for letterheads/business cards, because there will be repro issues involved - the number of colours you use will affect the cost of printed material.

what style do you want to create for yourself. It seems like a very free brief so this could be an opportunity to work in your own individual style. If you have free reign of the look of the logo do something that fits in with your design philosophy - minimalism, 3D, fluid or solid.

Take a walk in the fresh air. For any of us to help you, we would need to know what they do, what they are all about. You have that information--you just need a fresh outlook. Take a shower.

i'd suggest a COLD shower, a cup of coffee and a long
    walk through the woods (if you got any handy, that is...)

sichi is right, though:

turn off you pc, take a pencil and some paper and keep
    on sketching. another possibility (and not one of the
    lamest when it comes to logotype design):

get a calligraphy set, learn about typography and how
    fonts are drawn and play with the ink & paper. it's even
    rather fun...

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Try incorporarting the mission statement or purpose into the look.

For example - if they are into technology - try something digital looking - etc.

question authority
    If you have a mental block, you've got to break the cycle.. like others have mentioned, take a walk/drive/skate/whatever
    don't overthink it... - what was the first thing you thought of? first ideas are often the best..
    m

toot toot

p.s

whatever you finally decide on desinging make sure you either get a good price for the design or withhold the rights to the design.

If this company was to become the next McDonalds/Microsoft/BigCorporate Co. inc, then they will eventually insist on buying the rights off you. You can then sell it to them at a vastly inflated rate.

That's my logo design 'tip of the day'