A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sounds cuts out on PC

I've got a projecter file 2.5 MB. Streaming music while images fade in/out one at a time. 2/3 of the way through the music cuts out. Is it a memory problem? It runs full screen. would that affect it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

HI,

This is most likely a memory problem. We had the same problem when we were developing our system for flash video.

for example we graphed countless clips and found that a 3mb movie could easily consume over 100 mb of ram. Unfortunately the only way to solve this other than segmenting your movie loading onto levels and unloading those segments after they play (has the effect of reclaiming ram) is to purchase third party software.

If you cant fix the problem using the above mentioned techniqe visit our site http://www.mantaproductions.com
    and view the video demos (broadband)we have eliminated the
    ram hungry flash player problem.

Hey Pporksoda,

I've had projects that exceeded 10 MB, with full MP3 soundtracks, not loops, and graphics that faded in and out. They occasionally popped (a Macromedia identified problem with audio and some sound cards), but the audio never completely cuts out. Even when I didn't separate my movies into separate swfs that could be loaded and unloaded I didn't have this problem, but doing that can help you in general.

You have two things competing for CPU and RAM, the audio and the fading.

First thing fading: try to minimize elements that fade at the same time. Once one element fades out, fade the next one in, or fade the one image out on top of a layer with the next image, the result will be a crossfade with only one fade. This will lower the bar significantly on what machines can play your show. I recommend that you look up a thread called “The Naughty JPG” in this forum, it has a list of tips on handling JPGS, and every little bit helps.

Second thing audio: create a layer just for streaming a 1 second nul or empty sound that you can create with any audio editor. Import the sound, place it in its layer about 4-5 frames before your soundtrack, set the sync to Stream, set the sync for the soundtrack to Event. Every sound that follows the nul stream will also be streamed, without have to load it into the RAM. You only need to do this once per movie, if you did it again it will act to toggle the Stream off. But If I unload that movie I've unloaded the Stream, so I create the same thing for the next movie I load.

Hope this helps,

Corl