A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Variable question...

Is there a way to call a variable within the URL field of the "loadVariables" action.

Example:
    I've got a Cold Fusion page that loads info into my movie, but you need to enter in a user ID number to interact with the ColdFusion page. Here is what I've got so far:

loadVariablesNum ("flash_artistdiscography.cfm?albumid=(artist_numb er)", 0, "POST");

When I hard code a number instead of the "artist_number" it generates the MC like I want.

Does anyone know the snytax or the proper way to call that "artist_number" variable so it plugs into the URL...

Any help or thoughts would be extremely helpful...

Thanks
    Darb

the traveler
    no problem.. i do that very thing on my site so it knows which photos to load.

you want artist_number to be passed to the CF page as an URL variable, yes? here is what you do:

Code:
    theURL = "flash_artistdiscography.cfm?albumid="+artist_number;
    loadVariablesNum(theURL, 0, "post");
    you have to concatenate the variable with the URL of the CF action page. if you don't, it will explicity load "flash_artistdiscography.cfm?albumid=(artist_numbe r)" which means nothing because your CF page will think that the variable "albumid" = "(artist_number)" when really you want it to be equal to something like "15" -- the actual value of "artist_number".

hope that helps you out.

Gracias!!

You rock. Now I'll be able to implement this in all the places that I use Cold Fusion!! Rad...

Darb

the traveler
    no problem, glad i could help