A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SWF vs HTML: clear fonts get fuzzy

A friend of mine put together a very nice Flash site and I helped him with a little JavaScripting... We noticed the strangest thing: when the SWF file is opened by a browser the text looks fine, even when the window is resized. When the HTML document is opened by a browser the text is fuzzy...

Here are a few facts that might have something to do with it:

the SWF file is in a cell that is sized to the exact size of the movie with no borders etc...

the font sizes are 10 and 12

we tried placing the text fields on whole pixels but not with the marker in the top left corner but rather in the middle, and we didn't check to see if the MC's that the text boxes are in are on whole pixels....

Any thoughts? I am new to Flash so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has an obvious answer, I considered posting this in the newbies section but, well, fonts... thank you in advance for your help...

newayblue.com
    with MCs to get the pixel font to work, go into the movie clip and highlight everything and put it at whole numbers, if you have lots of buttons and movie clips in the one movie clip. try putting the text in the main Movie clip (not the button thats in the movie clip) , making sure everything is always whole numbers.

that should be fine!

fuzzy font

Thanks for the tip- I will try it out. Do you know why there is a difference between directly viewing the SWF in a browser vs. accessing it through the HTML document?

newayblue.com
    No... I never have that problem, if something is not scaling correctly, I delete it from the html and put it in the layer again, I use pixel fonts all the time.
    If you are using dreamweaver, just make a layre, click in it so the cursor is in there, then click on the insert flash button and choose your file.. it should put it in the layer at the right size.
    If you are not using dreamweaver then I dont know what the problem can be... is has to be something to do with the size of the flash file in the HTML, when you are dealing with these pixel fonts you need to be have .1 accuracy!!
    if you cant get it sorted send me the file, and I will get back to you asap (if I find the problem!!)

im off to bed now!!!

good luck

fuzzy font

I didn't use dreamweaver, I just wrote a table in the HTML file that Flash created when the movie was exported. I probably can't give you the file (it's not mine) but here's the site: http://www.suhaildesign.com maybe you can take a peek at the source or grab the SWF out of your cache... Anyway, goodnight!