A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: duplicateMovieClip SNAFU

In a nutshell, I needed a button w/ a clicked state, so I created a custom button using a movie clip. The custom button clip has another MC w/ a dynamic text field which allows me to duplicate the button MC and programatically set the button text. So far so good. The button MC was duplicating and the new properties getting set properly. So I took the actions that monitor mouse events from the file where I had experimented with cutom buttons and pasted them into the MC that I am duplicating. (My understanding is the actions will be duplicated as well.) Problem(finally): everything has stopped working because Flash no longer recognizes the instance name of the original cutom button movie clip. In the debug window I no longer have an "ActiveButton." It's "instance1." Checking the instance toolbox, the instance name is still "ActiveButton." What happened?

-Sean

Never mind

I guess I've been programming in Java too long. I thought that ActiveButton and activeButton would be unique. Apparently not. I've gone back through the Flash ActionScript Reference Guide. I can't see anywhere it talks about case sensitivity of variables (or the lack thereof). Surely it's in there somewhere.

At any rate, changing activeButton to something else solved the problem.

-Sean