A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MACROMEDIA CERT

sheeesh.. get this.. I have to wait 30 days before taking it again. It's $150 per pop.

- sorry to hear you missed by 3 questions ... that is a bummer. I'm sure you will pass next time though if it was that close.

Can I ask if the questions we've been posting and answering in this thread are indicative of typical exam questions ?

I told you guys - this test is hard as balls - If I didn't use ActionScript so much - I'd would not have passed either.

Big Boi
    Just to add something here, i am wondering for how long will this test be the same, i mean when will questions be updated with stuff from Flash MX??

Just thought I'd give an update.. I went out and bought the study guide for this exam and took the practice questions and got an 84 without reading the book.. I spent a week reading the book and taking the practice questions and took the exam again.

I failed again with a 66.. the exact same score I got before.

I too use Actionscript on almost a daily basis and not just for simple scripts. I'm not a rookie with Flash or certification exams.. I've passed Microsoft, Comptia, and CIW exams on the first try.. I think Macromedia really missed the mark with this exam.

Big Boi
    Can you somehow scan this study guide, I dont have ablity to buy that book but I would be very grateful if you could sand me somehow some of this, you can mail me that.
    thanx in advance

Originally posted by mike6496

Just thought I'd give an update.. I went out and bought the study guide for this exam and took the practice questions and got an 84 without reading the book.. I spent a week reading the book and taking the practice questions and took the exam again.

I failed again with a 66.. the exact same score I got before.

I too use Actionscript on almost a daily basis and not just for simple scripts. I'm not a rookie with Flash or certification exams.. I've passed Microsoft, Comptia, and CIW exams on the first try.. I think Macromedia really missed the mark with this exam.

flash mx certification exam is in...

september or august of this year, but their certifications have a shelf-life of 18 months.

I'm thinking on taking the certification but I'm kind of worried about the third party application questions. I know what I need to know html, javascript, cold fusion, actionscript, but I never played with fireworks and dreamweaver or generator. I know actionscript but is that enough...should I look into generator before taking this test?

And you guys are talking about a guide that you bought...what is it called and where can I get it. I only got the pdf from the site but is there something more?

Thanks

Hmm.

I'm beginning to wonder if I would pass this exam. It is just on Flash 5 right?

I've been using Flash since ver3 and would say that Actionscript is one of my stronger points, but if you got 66 twice then I have to ask one important question...

Was it the same exam with the same questions?
    - Probably not, I guess thats why the 30day limit is there so that they can get another XX questions.

I have always been a bit worried about exams that have multiple choice questions because although technically there is only 1 or two 'correct' answers - there is no way of checking say 3 boxes instead of 2 and giving reasons for choosing the extra box.

At least with a written exam you can explain yourself and the marker can see that you know what you are talking about... But for Macromedia - I guess that this would take up too much time...

Do you get to keep a copy of the exam?

Gavin

The two exams were different.. very different. That's how most certification exams work.. they have a pool of several hundred questions with many different versions of the exam. Each time you take it you get a different version.

You don't get to keep a copy of the exam - you don't see which ones you got right or wrong (which is typical for certification exams).

Mike6496
    "Just thought I'd give an update.. I went out and bought the study guide for this exam and took the practice questions and got an 84 without reading the book.. I spent a week reading the book and taking the practice questions and took the exam again."

What Study Guide are you taking about and Which Practice Test???

Thanks

I used this one. http://www.forta.com/books/078972717X/ it has practice questions at the end of each chapter..
    there are others..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072131217/

[Edited by mike6496 on 04-16-2002 at 01:48 PM]

Hi again,

The reason I want to take this test is that, I don't know if it's the same all over the world but in Vancouver it's killer to get a job! So did this certification help anyone on here get work?

Big Boi
    I got 80% the first time i took this online test, should i go and take the test??

Originally posted by mike6496
    I used this one. http://www.forta.com/books/078972717X/ it has practice questions at the end of each chapter..
    there are others..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072131217/

[Edited by mike6496 on 04-16-2002 at 01:48 PM]

Hi I need an answer...I'm doing the practice test and this question keeps coming:

When using the pen tool, if you select an anchor point, what will the shape and fill of the point be?:
    1.a filed circle
    2.a hollow circle
    3.a filled box
    4.a hollow box

the answer is 3 according to the test but it's NOT RIGHT?
    When I Use the pen tool and click on an anchor point I get a minus which deletes the point. The hollow box comes with the the subselect tool hovering over an anchor point.

Can someone confirm this with me?

Another Thing....I just spoke with a macromedia rep....Tim Parker's book is full of mistakes and she apologises. Another thing...those sample questions on the macromedia site are questions that caused confusion when creating the test therefore thats why they give them out but they are not on the test and thats why they are confusing.

Hi, mb im a rebel, but if u have no design sense and u have done the test 7 times to get the qualification, will that win u the jobs.....

the internet is so big i could put a macromedia site of the day on my site who would know ? (not that i would)

also in 2 years time all u know is old and dated, streaming, broadband etc flash mx2? / dreamweaver 5

most clients look at what u have done

i left college, (many years ago) as most fully qualified........

interview:: nice work what experience do u have ?

me:: none

interview:: Mmmmmm, come back when u havesome

who would employ u to do a website when its your first ?

not nike or adidas

oh but i am qualified buy macromedia.....

Well, I read this thread a few times since it was started and I just wanted to say that I passed the exam this morning with a 75%. It's rough.. I'm not gonna' lie. There were about 3 questions that I had no idea what the answers were. Add to that there were several questions that the answers were so close you really had to know syntax or method abilities it made it tough for sure. I have been developing with Flash for 5 years now. I've co-authored a Flash book, written a number of tutorials, taught Flash for 2 years and I'm an authorized instructor for Macromedia courses and I still thought it was a challenge. So some advice for anyone planning on reading it.

Answer the sample questions provided on the site. There are 10 questions in the study guide and 10 others in the sample questions doc. Then take the free sample course a few times on forta.com. There are 20 there. That will give you a feeling for the test through 40 free questions. Then take the BrainBench.com Flash test. It's only like $20 and will add the pressure of time to it plus give you a similar feeling for the questions. Just know the BrainBench is more of a combo of the Designer & Developer exam content from Macromedia.

As for what it's going to get you...and why take it? You probably won't get a better job out of it. But what I know it's going to do for me are several things. Add instant credibility to any claims I make on knowing Flash and when addressing clients for work. The final decision will always come down to samples of work you have done. It's kinda' like the difference between being knowledgeable and being street smart you know? You might know Trig but it won't help you in a fight in the back ally. Good luck to anyone planning on taking it!

[Edited by mr.b on 06-05-2002 at 09:56 PM]

I was just here: http://www.forta.com/books/078972717X/

and noticed that they have posted a zip file with PDFs of all of the chapters for the Tim Parker book.. complete with sample questions, etc. The files in the ZIP indicate that it was created May 3, 2002 and there's a nice note in there from Macromedia apologizing for the errors in the original book.

actually.. after going through the PDFs some.. it's the complete text of the book! The sad thing is I can't find any difference between the book I have (which was purchased in April (?) and the PDF files that are supposed to be updated.

If anyone finds where the corrections were made let me know! Thanks!