A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MACROMEDIA CERT

Big Boi
    how much of xml questions was there?? i also dotn know anything almost about xml and flash, and troubleshooting, what is that like?? just say some problems that are required from you to know it.
    Also the web developer cert, what is it about dreamweaver?? or html or what knowledge is there required also??
    thanx on the previous post it gives me some prespective on it, how many did you have correct?? great job anyway
    oooo and i just remeberde what do they give you as their DEVELOPER KIT AS THEY SAY, what do you get??

Originally posted by sgtpritchard
    It is 65 questions, true/false, multiple choice and choose 2 questions. You get like roughly 1 minute per question total. I forget the time exactly. You are provided with scratch paper and a pen.

the questions (without being unfair and telling test questions) cover the XML object - loading data into flash - smart clips - object actions - arrays - events - referencing - and troubleshooting.

probably the toughest questiosn were the XML ones for me - little to no experience there and the troubleshooting ones. Like they would give you code - say - what will this do and what is the answer - or will this work?

It is werid - the questions above are very close to the real thing - the study quide macromedia offers is not very close on. Which is good - once clients find out how tough the test is - people will want certified peeps - the web developer cert. was a lot easier.

Back in the day when you could take the Certified Web Developer Test -- I got a certificate, CD-Rom containing different formats of the "Macromedia Certified Web Developer" logo for my use and a watch from Allaire. I was told that for completing the Flash Cert. I would receive the CD and the certificate. I wanted another watch The XML questions were about the XML object and any issues concerning it (see the ActionScript Dictionary) - I don't want to give away answers. You are not told how many questions you missed or what they were - you get a percentage (and that's my secret). I wouldn't go for a DreamWeaver Cert. I know that when we interview people to join our team - If we see anything about DreamWeaver - it takes a lot of credibility from your coding ability. You don't really need to know much HTML - you should be familiar with JavaScript style programming (e.g. ActionScript). I can't wait for the Designer Cert. I want to see what its like. I'm just saying that the Developer cert. was a lot tougher than I anticipated - and I use actionscript everyday. But if you have roots as a traditional programmer - you'll do better I imagine.

Big Boi
    ok thanx, i have a knowledge of programing in turbo pascal so i know all the things abotu basic programing. Thanx on help, just to ask what literature u used, would all the files from FLASH HELP AND DICTIONARY BE ENOUGH?? or should i need some extra??

Well - I basically learned by doing. the only Flash books I own are the 2 manuals that come with flash, "Using Flash" and "ActionScript Reference Guide". I also own the "Macromedia Flash 5 Advanced -- Visual QuickStart PRO" and "ActionScript: The Definitive Guide".

thos sample questions are mostly wrong and if i fail when i take because of that i'm going to contest it with macromedia. for example. #2 is also wrong. It's true you cannot import data from another domain for security reasons (although you can use middle ware to get around it), you can import swfs from anywhere.

paste this into the first frame of a new movie:
    Code:
    loadMovieNum ("http://www.goodmanct.com/images/homeflash.swf", 0);
    now publish it real quick and drop it on your server. works fine.

LOL... i just read #3 hahahaa... D?????
    [Edited by mr.b on 02-20-2002 at 04:33 PM]

Mr. b. - All questions will state whether or not middleware is an option - at times it is part of the answer (e.g. yes, you can import the swf using a third-party or middleware app.).

As far as contesting- you are allowed to place a comment on every test question. I am sure that if it were that close - you would comment your questions in the hopes that Macromedia would review them.

If you know actionscript pretty well you shouldn't even have to worry about it.

man.. i just realized Markosef answered those himself. i was thinking those were the real answers straight from macromedia. sorry Markosef if i offeneded you.

sgtpritchard, my buddy got a 72 on the test a bit back. he said there were only 40 on his. he also said each question wasn't time individually, but the testing time as a whole was timed. he also said you could go back and change answers ie: if #30 helped you with #10. was your testing the same?

i ask because i got a 97 on the brainbench.com flash5 exam. i took this for practice because it was only $19. if anyone else is interested this exam was a total flash exam an not 100% actionscripting. although, the actionscripting questions took up about 1/2 or more of the test and were pretty intense some having math formulas to solve.

what sucked about the brainbench test is that EACH question was timed with javascript and you had i think 2 minutes on each. after the time was up you were booted to the next question and you got it wrong without answering. so there was a bit more pressure there.

Mr. b. - Dude I though you were being a jerk - guess I took you the wrong way - I have taken little flash tests before - like on Guru.com - I said I was a flash expert - so they test you - I passed that. The test from Macromedia though is hard-core ActionScripting - the test is timed - not each question - you can always go back to a question and even mark it for review after you are done - so you can just jump to what ever question you want - just like taking a test in highschool hehehe. 65 Questions and like 85 minutes including review and everything. Hope that helps!

Post BEST STUDY

How did yall ever learn all the progy languages? Which book best helps you with the prep of this test?

For me -- From playing around...

book

Ok for a guy that knows very little action script. simple stuff like loadvaribles load movie...bla bla...
    What would you get?

Visual QuickStart Flash 5
    asd
    Visual QuickStart PRO Flash 5

That's if you are a book man - otherwise FLASHKIT FORUMS and TUTORIALS are the bomb!

Big Boi

Question

no, no offens, just would like if you say answers are wrong that you write correct ones so we can know ok??

Originally posted by mr.b
    man.. i just realized Markosef answered those himself. i was thinking those were the real answers straight from macromedia. sorry Markosef if i offeneded you.

actually.. the answer for 1 is B..

I'm taking the exam in the morning.. wish me luck.

Good luck on the test, man... let us know how you did!

I agree with #1 being B - I had to do a quick test in Flash to make sure . I'm also doing the test tomorrow.

here's 3 sample questions from the Flash certication developers guide :

1)Which of the following is not a primitive data type ?
    a)number
    b)string
    c)object
    d)boolean

2)If you set a variable using a movieClip name and the clip is not in the current timeline, what is the variable set to?
    a)false
    b)undefined
    c)zero
    d)an error message is displayed in the output window

3)If testArray=(1,2,3,4,5) what is the result of testArray.splice(1,2); ?
    a)1,2,3,4,5,1,2
    b)1,2,4,5
    c)1,4,5
    d)3,4,5

I'll post the answers later

[Edited by smudge on 02-21-2002 at 05:37 AM]

Big Boi
    1.c
    2.c
    3. dont know what is splice :-))

Originally posted by smudge
    I agree with #1 being B - I had to do a quick test in Flash to make sure . I'm also doing the test tomorrow.

here's 3 sample questions from the Flash certication developers guide :

1)Which of the following is not a primitive data type ?
    a)number
    b)string
    c)object
    d)boolean

2)If you set a variable using a movieClip name and the clip is not in the current timeline, what is the variable set to?
    a)false
    b)undefined
    c)zero
    d)an error message is displayed in the output window

3)If testArray=(1,2,3,4,5) what is the result of testArray.splice(1,2); ?
    a)1,2,3,4,5,1,2
    b)1,2,4,5
    c)1,4,5
    d)3,4,5

I'll post the answers later

[Edited by smudge on 02-21-2002 at 05:37 AM]

Answers according to the book are :

1)C
    2)B
    3)D

splice is one of the array methods used to chop and change array contents....

well.. I failed it.. the first cert I've ever failed (passed Win2kPro, i-Net+, and 3 CIW exams on 1st try and a buttload of Brainbench exams like HTML, JavaScript, etc).

My score was a 66 meaning I missed it by roughly 3 questions. I'm a little pissed because I took their sample test questions and missed only 1 out of the 11. I've used Flash since ver 3 and have been working steadily with ActionScript for about 6 mos.

I saw a good number of items that I thought had 2 answers.. 4 of the items were on a subject that out of 6 Flash5 books I have I can only find one paragraph about it..

oh.. and I've been to 2 week long Macromedia authorized Flash classes and a Generator class.

Time to get studying and take it again tomorrow..

Originally posted by mike6496

well.. I failed it.. the first cert I've ever failed (passed Win2kPro, i-Net+, and 3 CIW exams on 1st try and a buttload of Brainbench exams like HTML, JavaScript, etc).

My score was a 66 meaning I missed it by roughly 3 questions. I'm a little pissed because I took their sample test questions and missed only 1 out of the 11. I've used Flash since ver 3 and have been working steadily with ActionScript for about 6 mos.

I saw a good number of items that I thought had 2 answers.. 4 of the items were on a subject that out of 6 Flash5 books I have I can only find one paragraph about it..

oh.. and I've been to 2 week long Macromedia authorized Flash classes and a Generator class.

Time to get studying and take it again tomorrow..

Sorry to hear, man... but you'll get it tomorrow!
    Is there a fee for the exam?