A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Font Skitzophrenia amiss!!!

Has anyone had any font problems in MAC Illustrator 9/10 with the following message:

- Some characters may not display
    correctly in this font
    Reorganized character encoding -

The font i'm using is Helvetica (go figure. Its an extended version of helvetica with the condensed, black, and compressed versions of the font, and helvetica neue.). I get the above message opening the file appended to both Helvetica-bold and Helvetica. Usually when I get this message its because a font is not loaded but the app usually substititutes the missing font for courier or arial.

I did all my layouts about 2 weeks ago. Everything has been fine up to now. I open the files up last night and all of a sudden I have an unrecognizable mess in front of me except for the placed images. All the formatting is gone and the textboxes all disply random characters with lots of spaces. I opened the files up on my PC in AI 9.0 with the same results. But when I went back to the mac and opened the file in Ai 8.0 the font formatting remained but the graphical elements were strewn all over and some of the placed images disappeared. One of my designers experienced the same problem a few months back but he couldn't find a fix. If anyone knows of a fix for this i'd be forever greatful.

THanks

P.S. Ironically, i've been unable to connect to Adobes site since this problem occured. Murphy's Law at its finest. EGAD!! >=0

an idea

you may want to try dragging that font out of your font folder and onto the desktop. Then put it back in again. That will test to see if that font is corrupted. You can also try getting a copy of that font from another mac and replacing it with the one you have. Another thing you may try - I had a slighlty similar problem with a font in flash. It said the font was BankGothic, but it looked certainly didn't look like it. I selected another ont then changed it back to BankGothic anf it looked right. Don't know if these things will help, but they are worth a try.
    Good luck